AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Load data for the 357 & 44 AMP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Load data for the 357 & 44 AMP
    Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:17am
This is the load data from the old Lee Jurras web site, thanks to Gerry for emailing it to me so we can put it up.

Ian

357LoadData.pdf

44LoadData.pdf
7mmMKsuper View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7mmMKsuper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 10:56pm
Very Cool,

Thanks Gerry and Ian!   Clap

And thank you to Lee Jurras also.

MK
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 12:14pm
Yes thanks very much!  Very interesting reading!!
schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 3:07am
Just put together a batch this weekend for .357 AMP using cut rifle brass. I used H-110 (which is extremely similar to 296) with Hornady 158 gr HP/XTP. All brass was trimmed to 1.298" +/- .0005" and COAL was 1.6" +/- .0005". I didn't bring the chronometer, but there were no jams, 1" group at 25 yards, 2.5" group at 50 yards off a simple bench rest at an outdoor range with mild-moderate wind. Just for the heck of it I tried plinking a 4" x 8" piece of steel someone left at 100 yards. I guessed at the drop, but overestimated and my spotter saw it sail over it. The second shot tore right through 3/16" steel and hit the backstop with plenty of energy. What an amazing pistol!!! Next weekend I will bring the chronometer and a batch of 44 AMP I just finished putting together.
schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 1:55am
Well, I forgot the chronometer today, but tried out a bunch of 44 rounds at different loads. The best group was 15 rounds for just under 1" at 25 yards (off a rest). The recipe I used was cut rifle brass, Federal LP primers, 22gr of H110 with Hornady 240gr HP/XTP at 1.6".

On a fun note, the people at the bench next to me were kind enough to miss a gallon jug of water they set at 100 yards until they ran out of ammo. With their permission, on the second shot it looked like Old Faithful!
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:28am
The 357 AMP when working right is a blast to shoot. Glad enjoyed the data. 357 AMP data is a little scarce these days.
Enjoy!

Gerry
schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:14pm
Finally remembered the chronometer! 20 shot strings of 158 gr .357 and 240 gr .44 with the recipes listed above. I had to move the chronometer out to 5 yards because at 5' the muzzle blast took off the face plate!

.357 -
Hi-1344; Lo-1280; Avg-1307; Spread-64; SD-20

.44 -
Hi-1877; Lo-1826; Avg-1854; Spread-51; SD-20

I've also learned that shape of 125gr Hornady HP/XTP is a bit different than the 158gr. While they 'appeared' to allow the bolt to fully close, the range told a different story. On closer inspection the point of the 125 does not narrow as quickly as the 158 so 1.6" will not work. I guess I'll be making up some dummy rounds and using my feeler gauge on the bolt to determine the right seating depth.
schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:10pm
Well, shame on me. Going through a couple of dummy rounds with 125gr bullets showed me who the dummy is. When I formed the cases for these I used a different shell holder than the one that came with the set, which is (now) obviously a different height, putting the shoulder in the wrong place. The moral of the story is to use the same shell holders after setting the die.
curmudgeon View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:28am
Schwammy, what you found is known to anyone who loads cartridges which HS on the shoulder at a point which is known as the Datum line. You will find that in various 357 AM bbls, that the bottom of the load die needs to be ground, (surface grinder) to allow the shoulder to be set back far enough  to allow proper HS. This is the fault of the gunmaker not the die maker, The die maker follows the specs better than the welded in bbl specs, Thats one reason why all bbls should be threaded, not jig held for welding.
schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 2:23am
Thanks for the info! I though I was losing my mind or my ability to set a die. The dummy I made up to check chambered perfectly with the bullet seated to 1.6". I pulled a couple down and when I ran them through I could feel it form further down the case. So I tore the rest down and re-ran all the cases through the sizer and put the rounds back together. Finally I spent time measuring the height of the shell holders and they came up the same, so my initial thought was wrong.

Finally my mystery was solved after reading your post and looking carefully at how the cartridge sat in the holder. One did not let the cartridge sit far enough back for it to form properly on both cut rifle cases and Starline. I was further confounded because it was the RCBS shell holder and the Lee shell holder was the one forming correctly. After examining it some more I saw and picked a bit of grit out of the RCBS shell holder. Turns out when I got the die set (used) I cleaned the dies but only wiped down shell holder that came with it. Why I used that one instead of one of the ones I regularly scrub, and why I didn't scrub the shell holder along with the dies I'll never know. (I'm a bit OCD so my reloading workspace is spotless, like everything else, and I would never think to look for grit.) I just know I won't do that again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>