AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Load data for the 357 & 44 AMP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 3:38am
Not realizing his demise I posted something to the list and I am a relatively new member. Sad these folks are passing.
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by jurras jurras wrote:

tgt40, rifle brass is a POOR substitute for either 357 or 44 cartridge

Thank you - I was wondering about that.  I've got some nice Starline stuff and once the IPSC season winds down a bit I'm going to make the clean stuff dirty!  The .41 isn't out of the picture but I'm a bit less interested than I once was - what I am cranked up about a bit now is the .357.  Can't wait to get into it a bit more!

Thanks again for the information, its ALWAYS appreciated.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 2:59am
I can only speak for myself, but I also had high hopes for the 41JMP and the lack of bullets was a drawback for me, but that was like 20 years ago,,,  Truth be told it just was not as exceptional as the 357 AMP was and after having spent a bunch of time with the 357 AMP I was spoiled.

Once you get your dies set up for your Bbl/gun and you dial in some good ammo specs, you will leave the range with a big grin every time after shooting the 357 AMP. 

Give it a try and risk the addiction!!!

gh
Who was that masked man,,,
AutoMagyar View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutoMagyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I also had high hopes for the 41JMP and the lack of bullets was a drawback for me, but that was like 20 years ago,,,  Truth be told it just was not as exceptional as the 357 AMP was and after having spent a bunch of time with the 357 AMP I was spoiled.

Once you get your dies set up for your Bbl/gun and you dial in some good ammo specs, you will leave the range with a big grin every time after shooting the 357 AMP. 

Give it a try and risk the addiction!!!

gh

I have the .357 AMP dies, a bit of used brass, and some new .44 AMP Starline brass.  I just can't wait for my new barrel for the plan to come together. Bring on the addiction!  No cure, no recovery desired. Wink
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 4:31am
Did you recently buy a Bbl, or are you waiting on Brian's next batch?

Either way, it will be worth the wait.

Sorry I dont recall what screen name Skinner uses here, but he was another one of us that thought the 44 AMP was fun but wanted to try the 357 AMP and had a few struggles along the way but in the end he too was a believer like so many here who have given it a try. 

gh
Who was that masked man,,,
AutoMagyar View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutoMagyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 5:45am
I'm on the wait list. Been on it since early last summer.Confused
I know, with the .357 version I have ordered, it WILL be worth the wait.

It's funny, because the first AMP I ever saw in person at a gun store (back in the early eighties) was a 6 1/2" VR .357 AMP.  I asked the guy if I could handle it, and I couldn't believe it when he handed it over to me (I thought he might be over-protective of it).  I should have tried to buy it back then, instead of just ogling it and dreaming, but hindsight's 20/20.
Anyway, this new bbl will make up for it.  Right Brian? Wink
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
jbarnett View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 6:51am
Has anyone used Vihta Vuori powders to reload for .44AMP or .357AMP?

J
=============
Josh Barnett

Twitter/IG @JoshLBarnett
https://www.joshbarnett.com/
=============
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 12:23pm
Hi Josh,
I used vihtavuori powder for years in my 44AMP pistol.
12 grains of 3N37 under a Fiocchi 240 SJSP gave 1280 fps from my gun. Not the flamethrower loads, but a very reliable and good working load.

If you want something similar to the Hodgdon H110, you could use vihtavuori N110.

John Nada View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 1:36am
I'm very curious to see any data for reloading 44 amp with Vihta n110...
pbcaster45 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbcaster45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 1:50am

I was curious about using Barnes Bullets in my 44 AMP.  I was only able to find some Barnes 225 gr. XPBs and of course there was no load data to be found!  One thing I didn't consider was the length of copper bullets compared to more conventional jacketed bullets.  As you can see in the picture the Barnes bullet takes up a lot of powder space - I didn't think it was going to work.  When I compared it to the Hornady 300 grain XTP it was very similar in length, nose to crimp, and shank length.  I decided to give it a try and surprisingly - it worked!  Still more work to do, hopefully the final load will have enough velocity to make it suitable for hunting hogs or whitetail.  For Science!

Bullet: Barnes 225 gr. XPB
Powder: Hodgdon H-110 20.1
Primer: Federal 155
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.615
Comments: Compressed powder charge.

Left to right.

44 AMP round with Barnes 225 gr. XPB, Barnes 225 gr. XPB, Hornady 240 gr. XTP-HP, Sierra 240 gr. JHC, 44 AMP round with Hornady 240 gr. XTP-HP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>