AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

44 AMP BRASS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Conny Conny wrote:

Some of us do have a few thousand cases laying around. I'm having a couple thousand loaded. It's always good to have extra (everything). Yep, I'm a proud hoarder.

Withany luck you will get 8 - 10 reloads from your brass and thats a lot of Auto Mag usage,,, Do you really shoot your Auto Mag that much? At one time I did, but not too much these days. Seems like most here make verry little actual use of their Auto Mags, but then its one of those guns that some folks enjoy owning one and don't ever plan to shoot it. To each his own,,,
Who was that masked man,,,
Conny View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 6:42am
Yes sir. When Max is finished with my project, I plan on shooting the hell out of it. Also, I'm planning on a month long trip to Alaska in 2012 and shooting big game. I figure 700 rounds target shooting, 1000 rounds  for the trip and storage another 1000 rounds.

My Automag hans't been fired since I have owned it.......about 17 years. Now that I am retired, I'm going to enjoy all the toys (guns, cars, military vehicles, hi-tech camping gear, etc.) acquired in my life. I ain't leaving nothing to my kids.

I will post pics when Max's work is complete and the following hunting trip.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 1:11pm

I like the way you think!

All I can say is ENJOY!!!

Not sure what you and Max are working up, but a few suggestions from someone who has shot that many rounds through an Auto Mag, if you don’t want to deal with in the field problems you should ask Max to replace the safety lever retaining ring with a cap screw like LEJ did on some of his guns. I would also strongly recommend Micarta grips, I have never seen a set break and that’s something you cannot say about the factory grips or any aftermarket wood grips. You might also want to have him take a close look at the heli-coils in the cocking piece, if there is any question about them, better to get that behind you now. Same for the little springs throughout the gun, the ejector and extractor springs can become compressed over time and cause problems.

Some of these items can be a minor annoyance when you are at home or some local range when shooting mild loads and in small batches, but shooting full power hunting loads and a lot of them in the field you do don’t want your trip ruined by a lost clip or safety plate or weak extractor spring.  Well that’s my unsolicited 2 cents, others may have different opinions,,,

Cant wait to see what you guys cook up.

Conny View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 4:38pm
Thank you for the recommendations.  I am going to replace all the springs. I also have a rare spare parts kit I'll be taking along. Good idea about the grips. I think I noticed a pair on Gunbroker before.

What's the problem with the safety lever retaining ring? I didn't know these were problematic.

Thank you for the recommendations. I can't afford to have a minor problem in the field which could escalate to a major FUBAR situation.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 7:32pm
Hi Conny,

The problem with the safety lever retaining ring is they are notorious for coming off, and if you loose one in the field it’s a pain even if it doesn’t cause you to miss a follow-on shot and you still risk loosing the safety plate depending on the fit of your grips.

It’s a very simple upgrade to drill and tap the safety lever for a cap screw and then your (potential) problem is gone for good. Max may have even had the cap screw in his original design, not sure, but either way I’m sure he can update your gun to replace the retaining ring.

A good tune-up also goes a long way to eliminating failures to feed and eject, or maybe you guys have already taken care of that???

Is your AK trip a winter or summer event? I would recommend you test you gun under similar weather conditions to when you plan for the hunt. In the past I had noticed some lubes I was using were a bit temp sensitive (got thicker in the cold) I think it was an expensive 2 Cycle motor oil I was trying at someones recommendation. I currently use either Militec 1 or Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil in the heaviest weight I can find, but then I don’t shoot outside in the winter any more,,,, Gerry or one of the other members may have other winter conditions lube recommendations. I also seem to recall some ammo issues (pressure increase) when I shot loads that worked very well in the summer and then tried them in below freezing conditions. Not sure what powder it was, but I’m thinking it was either Blue Dot (which I NEVER use in the Auto Mag any more) or maybe it was H-110. I pretty much just stick with WW-296 for the Auto Mag these days.  Again Gerry or one of the more adventurous members can better advise about winter shooting concerns.

These are just my opinions, others here will offer up different opinions, use what seems reasonable to you.

But then figuring this all out is half the fun, well so long as nothing breaks,,,

Best of luck, sounds like you are well on your way to a good time!!!

GH

Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:31pm
Isn't that the frustrating thing: you spend time and $$ collecting all this stuff and then the time to reload. Range time is always at a premium. Hope to rearrange my schedule this year for more of it.  A few years from retirement, started casting again to save some $$ for Max's barrel project.
Enjoy your trip Connie.

Gerry
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:12pm
I see they backed the delivery up to 2-18-2011 now at Starline
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Gerry Gerry wrote:

Isn't that the frustrating thing: you spend time and $$ collecting all this stuff and then the time to reload. Range time is always at a premium. Hope to rearrange my schedule this year for more of it.  A few years from retirement, started casting again to save some $$ for Max's barrel project.
Enjoy your trip Connie.

Gerry
No worries about brass, when you retire you will have plenty of time to make AMP brass for other easy to find cases. It's only time consuming not expensive,,, And think of all the fun you will have,,, ;-)
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 2:45am
Well at least we're in the month that the backorder is to be lifted in.....I say it's imminent!  
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:53am
Hummm,,, dont hold your breath,,, or Hope for the best, but dont be surprised by less,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>