AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

44 AMP BRASS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:26am
Like JW, who hooked me on the 357 AMP, I favor the 140 gr bullet. I bought a of bunch of the 140 gr Remington befor the discontinued the line. Bad Karma.
This spring , I going to try of 140 gr lead boolits I bought for Missouri Bulllet works> I got 500 for about $40 including shipping. They are 140gr, 18 Brinell.
I plan on trying them in my TC first and then my AMP if everything works out with 2400.
Will report.
Too cold for  outdoors > 25 degrees.
Happy New Years!
Gerry
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:22am
Gerry,

You are planning on using 2400 for 357 AMP???

And thats for indoor shooting or outdoor in the winter, or was that summer? Sorry lost track.

For the 357 AMP, the only powder other then WW 296 that I had any luck with was AA #9, it pretty good stuff.

Tried BlueDot, and it was very tricky, somewhat inconsistant with lots of pressure issues showing up (flat primers, etc).

I did not like 2400 nor 4227, both were too dirty and just didnt seem like a good fit.

I also tried AA 1680, but it was too slow.

I did have some high $$ Norma powder that I did not fully test (work up a good load) but it looked like it had good potential, but the cost was more then double anything else and it came in little cans.

I was going to try AA #7, but never did,,,, It might be too fast???

But then thats never stopped me,,, See below,,, ;-)

Look forward to hearing your results.

GH

Who was that masked man,,,
Tony Rumore View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:24am
Well.....there was a time before Starline ever made any brass and that did not stop anyone from shooting their Automag.  Don't be a metrosexual pussy.....just cut down some .308 brass and make your own like we all did for many, many years.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:40am
And if you still had to make your own brass, Automags would be cheaper......

I have made my own and would if nothing else was available. Even using my jig setup for my miter saw to cut case close to right length, I much prefer the lazy route and buy starline as long as I can.   It's the reaming I need to make easier now.

Tony-any tips for reaming?  The pain is the cases spinning in the reamer die.  ANd I even expanded them prior to reaming.

Jason
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Tony Rumore Tony Rumore wrote:

Well.....there was a time before Starline ever made any brass and that did not stop anyone from shooting their Automag.  Don't be a metrosexual pussy.....just cut down some .308 brass and make your own like we all did for many, many years.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Point of fact I NEVER had a problem finding Norma or CDM brass before there was a Starline brass and the first batch of Starline brass I got was too short (not to spec) so I just used it for 357 AMP.

Now did I want to pay for Norma and CDM brass,,, well that all depended on the going rate and many times the answer was NO WAY, and so I still have a bunch on home-made Auto Mag brass and someday to be Auto Mag brass in waiting!!!

So Tony is 100% correct, a lack of Starline brass should not stop anyone from shooting their Auto Mag! There might be a million other reasons some should not be shooting Auto Mags, but access to factory brass should not be high on the list, its just not that hard to make.

As JW correctly points out, the bigest PIA is when you get a case spinning in the die, other then that, its just another step in the process, and it aint rocket science.

Who was that masked man,,,
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:47am
Forming brass from 308 family of cases is an exercise in patient and Zen. It also builds up your grip strength hold the reamer steady.

Gerry
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:52am
GH
My plan is to try the cast boolits in my TC before my AMP. If I can't get them to work in the TC then they go to the 357 Mag gun for some summer fun.
Gerry
watchin View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:26am
Haha..'metrosexual pussy' , that's great! First people won't buy the automag because you might have to handload then they won't shoot because they might have to make their own casings. It must be a generational culture shift. Maybe it is just too cold right now to shoot and no one wants to admit that.
-watchin-
Tony Rumore View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 5:32am
Cases spinning in the neck reaming die is a problem.   I dose the die and case down with Roly Solvent Clean (contact cleaner) before running them.  The cases will stick much better in the die that way.  It's a pain in the ass, I know.

I bought my first Automag in 1989 when I was 23 years old.  It was $2,000 bucks for a three barrel set, .357, 41, and 44.  That was was a $hit pile of cash at the time.  My dad about had a stroke when I told him.

The set came with dies for all three barrels along with a set of case forming dies, but no ammo, and no brass.  I already had an LAR Grizzly and a Desert Eagle, but I assure you....there was no **cking way a shortage of brass was going to keep me from firing my new Automag.  After seeing Clint in Sudden Impact, circa 1984, I was on a mission from god.....and I'm not even religious.

I took that gun to a Bullseye shoot at a local club in Waxahachie(sp), TX and with the 8.5" .357 AMP barrel in place, I cleaned everyone's clock.  The old *uck next to me complained to the range master that my gun was a disturbance, so they moved me to the end of the line.  Then when the scores were totaled at the end, and I was the winner, and the old *ucks didn't like it.  The "usual" 70 year old winner complained that bottle neck cartridges were not allowed in Bullseye Comp.  Of course there were no complaints about it, until I won.  The whole group was still huddled around the trophy table arguing about it when I walked off in disgust and left.  I never went back to that club and have never shot bullseye again.  Rant off......

Tony Rumore
Tromix

P.S. I'm not done yet....this old *uck next to me with his Gold Cup kept spritzing sight black spray paint on his front sight after every *ucking shot.  He would be concentrating on his shot and then when the fire ball erupted from my Automag, he would drop his gun down on the table in disgust, roll his eyes around and give me the serious stink eye.  I would just look back over at him, like "what the *uck are you looking at old man?"

Here's a group I shot back then with 7 rounds out of each caliber barrel, hand held at 50 feet.  Unfortunatley that was when I was 23, and I'm 44 now so I doubt that will ever happen again.  But.....the older I get, the better I was...........

jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:30am
Tony,

Great story!  And nice shootin'.

Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>