AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

44 AMP BRASS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 2:31am
Hmmm a half million.....well that'd be enough.....I guess.....  Wow though, that's a mess o' brass for sure.  Maybe we'll see some after Kodiak ramps up.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!
Yoshi View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 2:44am
When I heard about the 500k minimum thing, I simply thought that they are not interested in making anything other than what they think to make.

For a fairness, the lady who took my call was prompt, polite, and I did not have any negative feeling.

Will see what happens to Midway due date.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.
AMPfan112 View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMPfan112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 6:33pm
you can find .308 winchester very easily 500 count for 100 bucks seems very reasonable. you just have to cut it and resize it a couple of times not that hard.
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 2:09am
I'm not against crafting some from 308 brass but there's some concern about what neck reamer to use.  I thought I read something bad about Forster's 432 reamer? 

What size reamer should be used?
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 2:02am

I think I tried that once and the brass was useless.

Today is our Thanksgiving, if I get a chance , I will measure my RCBS reamer and post it.
Good Luck.
Gerry
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 2:20am
Well happy Thanksgiving once again!  Hope you have a great one. 

As for making brass the old school way, I have to admit, it's a curiosity as much as anything.  I want to see if I can do it!  I've got a Forster trimmer but I heard the forster neck reamers were not very good?  Surprising since I always considered Forster to be top notch.

Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 7:35pm

Sorry for the delay, I had to go SHOPPING! UGH

I got out my RCBS vintage reamer. I inserted a reformed 44 AMP case and measured the reamer and it was .425-.426.
As for Forester products, I have never had a problem with the several reamers I own.
Go Luck!
Gerry
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 1:21am
Well, the thing to do is use the cut off die, then run the case in a tapered expander (especially if using 30-06), then run it in the ream die and ream.  Other wise, you will ream and once fireformed, the case may never return to be proper neck tension.

Other problem is once you cut the case that far down, it's hard to know whether the ID is concentric with the OD, so if you inside ream using a reamer like the a case trimmer, it might be off center.  Anyway, there are a lot of things to consider when forming brass no matter what method you use.

If you want, you can buy my CH4D case forming set (I have an RCBS I use other wise but reamed about 100 pieces with the CH4D when I got my Automag) and 50 pieces of CDM for $150 delivered in the US.  USPS Money Order only.  I think there is one dented case in the lot of CDM.  No, reaming isn't fun.  Biggest problem is getting the hang of it and keeping the case from spinning in the die.  That's where the expander comes in.

You can try the reamer, and see how it goes.  If you have a mini-lathe, you can cut and ream using a boring bar too.  It's slow, but might give you 50 cases to work with.

tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 2:11am
Thanks Gerry, I think for the price of a reamer, I'll give it a go
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 11:51pm
Somewh.ere, I scanned in the original forming instructions from RCBS. I can send them to you if you want.
Good Luck.
I will be watching the Calgary Flames vs Detroit Red Wings this winter.
Gerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>