AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The New Automag Part 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
Author
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbcaster45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 3:09am
Here are a couple of loads I've been working on, both gave perfect function.  I really want to stick with 240 grain bullets for deer so I need to do more work with those.  These two loads both have a lot of muzzle blast too.  Much better ES & SD reading with the higher powder charges.  Thanks for the advice Rocketthon - spot on!

Bullet: Sierra 180 gr. JHC
Powder: Winchester 296 29.1 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.608
Average Velocity: 1700 fps
ES: 24
SD: 9

Bullet: Sierra 180 gr. JHC
Powder: Winchester 296 30.1 grs.
OAL: 1.610
Average Velocity: 1766 fps
ES: 27
SD: 9

Rocketthon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 12:26pm
BTW the Hornady XTP 180 grain is tough enough for our whitetail here in Texas, no problem with shredding bullets.  A broadside is through and through with the deer collapsing on the spot.  Can't speak for the Sierra.  I will admit to a certain satisfaction with the A-bomb style muzzle flash on the 6 inch barrel.  I could probably get over 2000 FPS with a 180 in the 429DE but it likes the 270 GR Speer hot core so much could not see any other load.  You could try the 225 GR Lever-evolution bullet, my DE really likes that as my primary load in 44 Mag.  I know that bullet's terminal performance on any deer sized game is great and would even trust it for backup on elk.  My DE likes 23 GR 296/H110 and figure that 22-23 would be good for AM to start with, work up to perfect functioning and then add .2 or .3 grains.  I bet your SD and ES would be very good with the bullet.  When I was doing some load development for DE on the 429 5 shots were just over 10 with that bullet on most of the loads, even had one load make it to 9 for ES.
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 7:40am
Just FYI I did some penetration/expansion tests with various 240gr bullets in clear ballistic gel and was shocked to discover the old-school Sierra JHC bullets did not expand at ALL. I could easily have reloaded them and used them again. As far as I’m concerned they are only suitable for punching paper (which is all I do anyway apart from blowing up water-filled milk jugs). The Hornady JHP works great, but the Speer Deepcurl (a sturdier cousin to the legendary Gold Dot) is probably the best. This isn’t considering boutique bullets like Barnes, Nosler or Swift—I’ve never tested any of those.
pbcaster45 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbcaster45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 3:25am
When I first started testing my 44 AMP I was stumped that the SBR Factory load gave me so many stovepipes - so I broke down a couple. I'd read post by others who had broken down the factory load and it averaged 23.4 - 23.6 grains of H110/W296. The lot I am using (LOT #180715) was charged with 22.7 grains. It looks like the load was reduced at some time. I made up some test rounds using 23.4 grains of 296 and I think I've found a combo my gun really likes! No malfunctions!

Five shots offhand at 30 feet.

Bullet: Hornady 240 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 23.4 grs.
OAL: 1.600

TonyRumore View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TonyRumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Just FYI I did some penetration/expansion tests with various 240gr bullets in clear ballistic gel and was shocked to discover the old-school Sierra JHC bullets did not expand at ALL.

FWIW,

30 years ago I shot a 275 pound hog in South Texas with my 6.5" 41 JMP, using a 170gr Sierra JHC.
The bullet hit the shoulder (armor plate) and flattened out like a lead nickel.  It barely made it into the chest cavity.  The second bullet, fired about a second later hit the spine from the rear and did the exact same thing.  Penetration was about 4 inches.  The recovered bullet looked like a lead nickel.

The next day, I shot another hog with the same load but through my 8.5" JMP barrel.  It was about 80 yards out.  I just put it in his forehead.  That bullet wasn't recovered.

Tony

AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 12:27am
Originally posted by TonyRumore TonyRumore wrote:

30 years ago I shot a 275 pound hog in South Texas with my 6.5" 41 JMP, using a 170gr Sierra JHC.
The bullet hit the shoulder (armor plate) and flattened out like a lead nickel.  It barely made it into the chest cavity.  The second bullet, fired about a second later hit the spine from the rear and did the exact same thing.  Penetration was about 4 inches.  The recovered bullet looked like lead nickel.

Holy hell - tough hog! Shocked
TonyRumore View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyRumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 2:10am
Originally posted by AndyC AndyC wrote:

[/QUO

Holy hell - tough hog! Shocked
[/QUOTE]

I've shot a lot of hogs with handguns going back to the late 70's and I can tell you, not all hogs are created equal even if they are in the same area of the country.  Some, like these, really do have an armored gristle plate on them.  Most others do not.  When you go to skin one of these "plated" hogs, there is no way you can skin the hide off in one piece and roll it down like a deer.  You have to split the hide down the center of the back and peel it off in two solid panels like plywood sheets from each side.  I even affixed a bayonet to a rifle, charged it at full steam and plunged it into the shoulder of the hanging hog.  The tip of the knife penetrated about an inch.

Tony

180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbcaster45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 5:25am
Two more loads checked with the chronograph today.  I got more velocity with CCI-350s (an earlier load) but the ES & SD readings were better with the Winchester Large Pistol Primers.

Bullet: Hornady 200 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 26.0 grs.
Primer: CCI-350
OAL: 1.600
Average Velocity: 1723 fps
ES: 40
SD: 16

Bullet: Hornady 200 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 27.0 grs.
OAL: 1.598
Average Velocity: 1659 fps
ES: 29
SD: 11

Bullet: Hornady 240 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 23.5 grs.
OAL: 1.596
Average Velocity: 1506 fps
ES: 29
SD: 10
Comments: Factory Duplication Load
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 5:51am
With all the guns that have been delivered now (I think they are close to 200 including the Founders Editions) I’m rather surprised we aren’t hearing more range reports?

Where are all the new owners hiding?
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbcaster45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 7:40pm
I guess most folks don't handload and factory ammo is hard to find!  My gun is not a "safe queen!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>