AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Photo's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Titanium 6AL4V grips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Titanium 6AL4V grips
    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:01pm
I have sent William Bryant some 6AL4V Titanium for a set of grips.
This material certainly isn't the easiest to work with that's for darn sure in fact a bit scary as he can  attest to with sparkling shavings flying out & burning a hole in the work shirt.
Here are a few images , still more work to do on shaping.
As far as the price for something like this that remains to be seen , & no matter what the price it will 
be well worth all his effort that's for darn sure ! 
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:18pm
Golden 
I bet they will be beautiful but there is one thing for sure......... they will never breakThumbs Up 
I want to be next it line to get a pair but aluminum will be fine for me.... or maybe not after seeing them all done  Wink
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
golden24 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:42pm
Here's another image from William .
5hrs into just the first step of shaping , this titanium does not like grinding or any high speed sanding ,
it's like a 4th of July sparkler ....have to use slow speed which makes it harder to smooth things out.
In addition to a stinky smell as well. 
The mystery titanium masterpiece continues at a slow pace......  
2003cobra View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2003cobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 3:21am
I would love to get a set of those grips.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 7:01pm
I guess maybe I am old fashioned but I do not see what the attraction of titanium grips would be for any firearm.

I have tried aluminum grips on a few firearms and they certainly were not what I wanted.

Titanium is expensive and is proving what I have heard about being hard to work with and equally hard on tools.  

I feel G10  should make the best shooter grips and the various micarta's make outstanding looking grips and show excellent durability.

JMO
golden24 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:52pm
Here is the right side , still needs to be fine sanded before the final polishing.
This will not be an easy job.
It will be interesting to see the final product , I guess Titanium of grips are more a fascinating 
mystique of the idea not being a false color or coating on something to look like the real thing
but actually being the real thing.
Perhaps not very practical for gun grips but certainly uniquely different.   
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 2:47pm
Looks like hard work!
If polishing does not work, you might try brushed satin look or "jeweling" that could hide some minor errors. The jeweling might be a bit to much bling-bling though...
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 3:13pm
Hi Steve,

As always, you amaze and fascinate me.

I am intrigued by this latest project, it is not something I would have expected to see.

Can you share your thinking as to why you wanted Titanium as your grip material.

We have seen many other exotic grips in the past, but this one resets the bar to a new level.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, William never disappoints, his workmanship is exceptional.

Watching and waiting with excitement.

ATB

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
golden24 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

Hi Steve,

As always, you amaze and fascinate me.

I am intrigued by this latest project, it is not something I would have expected to see.

Can you share your thinking as to why you wanted Titanium as your grip material.

We have seen many other exotic grips in the past, but this one resets the bar to a new level.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, William never disappoints, his workmanship is exceptional.

Watching and waiting with excitement.

ATB

GH

Hello George, 
Well I contacted William to ask him about a set of aluminum grips & he said he could make a set .....
but then I was thinking about how about Titanium & asked if he had ever tried making any grips from 
that & he said not yet....but would like to try, so I picked up some 6AL4V Titanium on ebay it was a bit
too thick ....1" thick & 12X12 so he would need to trim everything down.
The material cost me $346.00 & about 4 days after I had found smaller plates 1/2" think & would have made things much easier on William but I had already purchased the other size.
So why Titanium ...to be a little bit different....I'm not really sure , I've always had a fascination with the it I guess.
William said the Titanium grips are actually heaver then the aluminum set.
I'm planing to try & finish up the final sanding & polishing myself not to save any money, it's fun trying something I've never worked on before.......call me crazy I guess.
But I must say this William Bryant sure is the ultimate kind of fabrication , just absolutely amazing hands down !

BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 5:11pm
Kinda like building a canoe out of concrete.  

Some guys do it but it's not for everyone.    Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>