AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AMP sights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMP sights
    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:38am
After the imbroglio I found myself in with that 357 with a bent rear sight (and etc) I decided to look at
the two AMPs I have. One is an El Monte, the other a Pasadena. One has what appears to be a sight made of stainless the other a black sight; unknown material. The black sight has a definitive downward bow to it. It's unmistakable yet it show no apparent impact damage at all. It fact the sight line doesn't really appear to be much different than the other.

Here's my question: how many different sights were used on these guns? Are they all the same internally?

This also brings to mind a horrible question: was the sight on that .357 barrel really bent??

Jerry
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 2:25am
Jerry
I just looked at my spare SS site and the base is flat but I will look at my .357 tomorrow, Automag has the base for sale but does not show you the entire base so you need to call them but I would think its flat like my spare.
That would be a question for Bruce Stark, I do believe there were two manufactures but Bruce will know best.
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 3:24am
Hey Jerry,
Here's my question: how many different sights were used on these guns?
Are they all the same internally?

All of the Auto Mag designed rear-sight assemblies are interchangeable.  They usually require a little fitting.  The later Belart and Millett rear-sight assemblies are unique to themselves. 

There were two different designs by Auto Mag on the rear-sight platform.   One with two "lands" and one with four "lands."  The four land design helps prevent movement of the platform from side-to-side.  There were many, many different rear-sight blade designs.

Lee had Harry make up rear-sight platforms, rear-sight blades and grip screws in a carbon steel so that Lee could have them blackened. 

This also brings to mind a horrible question: was the sight on that .357 barrel really bent??

If the top of the platform is flat for its full length, you are ok.  It sure looked bent to me.  If you try to straighten it, it may crack.  Good luck....Bruce

An armed society is a polite society.
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 3:30am
Jerry
Look like you got your answer from the man himself.
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:26am
I was going to upload images of the two sights from my Automags but the file upload utility seems a bit wonky. One sight has a definite downward bend with no apparent damge and the other flat as a board. I'm also wondering if the same dynamics that can break the screws I've read about can also cause some sights to develop this bend?

Jerry
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 12:30pm
I think most Automag sights get bent because the gun is dropped, or placed in an ill fitting case where it ends up carried upside down on the sight. Compound that with placing the case in a trunk where it's bumping up and down to the range, and it can happen.

I've bent one back, but it's definitely a risk!

I've replaced a few screws as well.

I like the last Millet sights (there were two styles) but they are gone now as well, so it's hard to find them as well.

Jason
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 5:16pm
Jason
I believe your correct as to how they might get bent, by being drooped.
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:27pm
Take this for what it's worth, but I've been told that there were 2 things that mainly bent the rear sight.

1.  Carrying the gun in the original case, and carrying the case by the handle.  The latch was not very good at staying latched closed and would open (unlatch) when being carried.  The gun would fall out and hit the ground.  If it landed on the rear sight, this could cause it to bend.  Along with possibly knocking the weld loose, where the rear sight sets.

2.  When removing the barrel from the gun..... Most people hold the gun in their right hand.  The left hand cycles the cocking piece while the right thumb engages the hold-open.  Lots of times, as people are taught, always point the gun in a safe direction.  This meant when the slide is locked open, the weight of the gun wants to point the barrel down towards the ground, and this is "natural" and "ok" to people.  When the left thumb is used to unlock the slide release, the barrel would accelerate off the frame and towards the ground.  As it was falling it would usually take about a 1/2 spin and landing upside down, smacking the rear sight on the ground.

This is why folks suggest point the barrel UP when unlocking the barrel release.  Pointing it up allows the barrel to "fall" rearward and stay on the frame.  Then grab it with your left hand and sliding it off the frame.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:33pm
I appreciate everyone's input on this thread. What I find odd about this is this:

The sight blade is a substantial steel part, not easy to bend ( or to use IBM terminology 'reform') back flat. It takes a not insignificant amount of pressure to flatten it out. I milled an aluminum piece that I could use in my 20 ton press that supported the blade and flattened it out; I removed all other pieces from the sight including both screws.

I can see how dropping the pistol could bend the sight. That makes perfect sense. The problem with that is, on mine anyway, there is absolutely no indication that the sight impacted anything hard although I suppose it could have hit a a carpeted hard floor. Still I can't believe that sort of impact with sufficient energy to bend the blade would leave no mark at all.  Signs and wonders....

Anyway sometime I'm going to give it a go making a rear sight assembly of my own. Could be a fun project if I find a barrel without a rear sight...

I'd like to hear from the chap who bough the 357 barrel I passed on to see if the sight shows signs of an impact.

Jerry

edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:40pm
Jerry
I think a lot of us are waiting to see better pics of that barrel, as for falling I bet there are more scenarios that could have happened
" Right turn Clyde "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>