AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holster-making

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by USA 1776 USA 1776 wrote:

I assume you wrap the gun in plastic before covering with wet leather?
That was just a quick wrap over the pistol to make sure I got the stitching-holes lined up - but yes, after everything is stitched, I'll dampen the holster and saran-wrap the pistol before shoving it in.
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:48pm
Went back home during lunch to stitch the bottom (pain in the ass - almost every single stitch fought me), checked for fit and now forming the holster to the pistol:

AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 5:21pm
Done. Not super-awesome, but it'll do fine for a first-ever attempt:

USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 12:16am
Looks ok to me. Better than ok. No need for retention strap?
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 3:38am
That is your first attempt at making a holster ??????????
Very impressive
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:43pm
Thank you kindly.

No strap (yet) - this is just for the range, but I may add one.

First leather-work ever, yep - scary stuff. I may yet try and "bone" it around the barrel-rib - a plain brown tube doesn't look very appealing, but I'm glad that the holster works and isn't horrible.
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:13am
Gotta ask
How did you get that indention made inside the trigger guard and so symmetrical ???????
All I could figure is a finely detailed wood plug cut to that correct size and shape with routed edges, clamps and maybe water / heat but wanted to know, also how long as total time to do the work and maybe broken down per what was done.
Again very well done Clap
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:51am
Literally just dampening the leather and pressing into it with my thumb to make a dent - then running gently around inside that dent with the base of a rounded wood-handled tool. Apparently that's called "boning".

Time, hmmm. Excluding overnight drying of the leather-dye (and a lot of Youtubing to look at techniques, running to Tandy Leather to buy tools and materials), probably 6 hours total. I could probably make the next in 4 or 5...

This video on making the pattern was invaluable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdKDmcmu8k

Without that, I'd have had no idea how to even start - and his trick of using a strip of leather to allow for the thickness of the leather (for spacing) worked like a champ.

Also, doing neat saddle-stitching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zTOqJCWbfY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12