AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fired the Automag IV 10mm Magnum Today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fired the Automag IV 10mm Magnum Today
    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:46am
Of course it didn't work....not surprising from AMT.

The extractor was only partially extracting the case and then dropping it.

I reworked the extractor to allow it to travel inward a bit more, intalled a heavier spring and polished the chamber. It works perfectly now.

Shooting some commercial American Custom Ammo, it tossed the Hornady 180gr bullet out at 1550fps. It appears to have been loaded with about 20.7gr of 296.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:39am
I shot it again today, and put it on paper. The good news is that it stacked them into about an inch group at 50 feet hand held. That's about the best I can do with my eyesight these days.

But wait, there's more.

It's hitting about 3.5 inches high and the sight won't go down any more. So I get to looking at it, and there is plenty of clearance under the sight, but the elevation screw stops dead. I pull it apart, and find that the springs under the sight are not correct and are collapsing to solid way before the sight is all the way down. I replace the springs with more suitable units and I get full travel back. With the sight now bottomed out, I load it back up to give it a try.....and what happens?....the dreaded AMT "Click". Light primer strike, of course due to a bent hammer strut and sacked out, bent to crap hammer spring. So I replace the spring and the strut, which end up bent on the first hammer cock anyway, but at least it had enough umph to fire and it hit dead-on.

The entire hammer, spring, strut, and spring bore need a complete redesign on all the Automag 2/3/4/5/ pistols. The design is a complete failure.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:53pm
Have you tried contracting Larry G to see if he came up with an improved design?

AMT never seemed interested in implementing upgrades once production started...
red442joe View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red442joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 4:57pm
Tagged

Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply