AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag II...lots of problems.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automag II...lots of problems.
    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 10:43pm
I recently picked up a nice 6" Automag II....the only reason it's nice is because it was sent to CCR to have the crap finish cleaned up and plated/coated in CPII. The slide, barrel, and everything feels like it's running on roller bearings....I'm pretty impressed with it.

However, the gun didn't work. At all.

Light primer strikes.
Failures to feed.
12+ pound trigger pull.
Failures to extract.
Failures to eject.

Hell, you name it....typical AMT junk, which of course doesn't surprise me anymore.

I won't bore you with everything that was done to fix all the above issues, but I got all that stuff fixed and the thing running perfectly on some 10 year old Winchester Super X ammo, but I only had one box left. So I ordered up 10 boxes and figured I was good to go. Nope.

The new ammo is clearly WAY under powered compared to the old stuff and would not cycle the gun. I had also tried Remington, Fiocchi, CCI, Speer, Federal, Armscor, and Hornady and cycling was either non-existant or spotty. However, when I fired up some Aguila ammo, all was golden again. Perfect functioning just like it had done with the older Winchester Super X.

At one point I even dropped in a lighter recoil spring, but even that didn't allow any other ammo to cycle other than the Aguila.

Tony

USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 12:40am
Would love to know who fixed your gun...I have on with similar issues and the one 'smith I trust around here won't mess with it!                           
Thanks, too, for the tip on the Aguila ammo
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 2:33am
Tony,

you know way more than me, been down same road.

I had one (still have it) that had a bad safety lever, it would snap on safe everytime it fired. too weak of a ball detent. I fixed that (kinda a pain to reassemble). I've also had light strikes (bent strut, common, also springs take a set-was able to get them new back then). Failure to feed based on poor magazines, if you find ones that work, keep them-have two.

Once you get it working, they shoot really great. It's an accurate little booger and fun. But I can see why people don't like them. And if you see one used at a gunshow for cheap, it's probably got problems.....
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 4:33pm
Yeah, the strut was bent. I replaced it, but the whole design is junk. I think I'll machine a beefier one from bar stock....and the spring not only takes a set, but it doesn't fit the strut very well and ends up all zig zag shaped.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 2:13am
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.....I picked up another Automag II, but this one is the 3.5" compact shorty.

I loaded it up, pulled the trigger....click.

It had the back end broken off the firing pin, which are NLA, so some wizard of a gunsmith decided to drill and tap the back of the pin and screw in an extension rod. Of course the rod was broken off in the back of the pin.

I was unable to extract the broken off shaft, so I just ground it flat, fired up the TiG, and welded the back end up, adding about 3/8" in length. I used 309L stainless rod which gets pretty darn hard when it air cools.

The gun would then actually fire, but had an occassional light firing pin strike and an occassional failure to extract. I made up a stronger extractor spring and replaced the bent hammer spur, and all was good. Ran about 100 rounds without a hitch. I still need to fix the 12 pound trigger pull though.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 2:41am
If you want some more work, would love to send you mine to fix.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 3:29am
Was at the range with my newly acquired 6".  First trigger pull gun went bang, cycled like it was supposed to, and something hit me in the forehead, just above my right eye glass.  

Second trigger pull, click.  Nothing.  Put it away and shot some other things I'd brought.

Upon packing up I found a nearly round piece of metal, small than the size of a pea.  I almost tossed not thinking too much about it.  Then I had an odd feeling that MAYBE, just MAYBE that was what hit me in the forehead.  I put it in my pocket and went home.

When I went to clean and look at it, I compared it with another AMT-II.  The back of the firing pin looked different between the 2.  I pulled both apart and noticed that the back of the firing pin, where the hammer strikes, is almost hour-glass shaped.  What hit me in the forehead was the little ball part of the back of the firing pin.

As Tony mentioned, they are no longer available - at least that I could find either.

I am stumped as how to fix it, or get it fixed.  Unless Tony would be willing to weld mine up too, and "message" it to fit?  Wink

I looked at NGP and the picture of the firing is straight at the back - not hour glass shaped like both of mine are.

I will post pics as soon as I can to show a good firng pin (with a poor design?), and what it looks like when it breaks.
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 3:49am
I'm just a little gun-shy about working on customer's guns where my entire Automag II gunsmithing experience rests solely on just two examples of these pistols.

Just because I was able to fix my two guns, hardly makes me an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 4:26am
I am neither an expert or a 'Smith.  But over the years I have been messing with these, you did to those two what most of the people with problems should do to them.

The hammer strut bends easily.  With the slide off, you get maybe one hammer fall (where you pull the trigger and let the hammer freely snap up), MAYBE two, before it bends.  Once it bends there are problems.

The guide rod is another thing that will cause people problems.   If it is not put together, and the guide rod is perfectly in the little notch in the frame, the rod won't sit properly.   You can see when the end of the rod sticks out barely more than flush.  There might be 1/16" or less sticking out for it to be correct.  Any more and it's not set properly and there will be issues.  You can also tell if it set correctly when you pull the slide back and the rod is straight with the barrel.  If it is at an angle with the barrel, it's not set correctly. 

The other thing I have found is that the extractor hits the barrel and will make it so it won't positively grab the rim of the shell.  The notch in the barrel usually does not line up with the extractor either.  You'll also notice that the extractor starts to wear (out) on the bottom (?) of the hook part of the extractor.  I usually dremel the notch on the barrel a little bigger, and a little deeper so the extractor hits the barrel as minimal as possible, if any at all.  You can see it happening when you barely move the slide open and closed.  It hits and moves the extractor ever so slightly. 

In my limited experience, paying attention to those few areas will get most of these up and running.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 5:07am
Do you think you could dis/assemble the gun with only one hand? I can do a 1911 and Browning hipower, but never tried this gun. Always afraid of small flying springs!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>