AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of grips are these?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by edkel1 edkel1 wrote:

I was just contacted by Alumagrips and sadly they don't have anything for the .44 Auto Mag Ermm 
The person that contacted me Chrissaid they could do a run but they would not attempt doing it unless the initial order was between 150-200 pairs Censored
If you had them make say 150 pairs and it cost you $150.00 a pair that's $22,500 and that's not including the R&D.
So who's in for a pair Wink
Ed 

Dont take this the wrong way, but at any given moment I'm not convinced that there are 150 - 200 who are actively collecting and shooting Auto Mags. 

Rarely do I feel like there are more then 20 - 25 people who are active here. 

I would say the only person in a position to cut such a deal might be the new AutoMag company. 

So if you all are interested in this, that might be a way to get the buying power you need.

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 4:15pm
George
I agree with you 100% 

I was being a bit sarcastic in that last post because the Auto Mag community is rather small and limited, you would be hard pressed to find 15-20 people that would be interested in buying a pair let alone 150-200 people and at $150.00 a pair which I kept artificially low thinking most would consider a reasonable price.

What if the price was double or ??? 
I think you could cut the potential pool of interested buyers in half, or I could be completely wrong on my assumption.

I thought the picture Bruce had posted looked interesting but I would need to see them in person before I would say yay or nay but I think they look promising.

Then you need to figure out the finish, either way its an expensive long shot and after all that work it might look like crap, not feel right or people are just not interested.

I think Patrick would be a great asset in getting Aluminum grips made but I think Patrick has his hands full trying to resurrect the Auto Mag, he has not finished his first project and I cant see him taking on a 2nd one.

If someone had a pair that were like the ones Bruce had a picture of I would be willing to take a gamble.

Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 5:02pm
I think that G10 makes a very good grip material. 

It comes in lots of colors and can be made as smooth or as rough as you like.  It is for a lack of a better term, "very grippy".  I use it on my Kimber Solo that I carry as it is a small gun and does not have much to hold on to.  I am using them on my heavier recoiling 1911's in 10mm and 460 Rowland.

VZ does a great job on theirs.

TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 6:14pm
If someone is willing to make a pattern I'd be willing to try casting a pair from aluminum the next time
I set up to do some for my other hobby. They'd likely need to be smooth or with some sort of shallow serrations as a grip surface. I believe shell molding /investment casting could have a shot at reproducing checkering but I don't (yet) do that sort of casting.

I mentioned I'd need a pattern as the parts usually shrink 1-1.25% so a pattern is made larger that the finished part to allow for shrinkage....

If you are wondering what the 'other hobby' is (and haven't guessed by my member name and avatar) go here: http://tanks.linite.com....

Jerry
wbautomag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbautomag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 9:11pm
If I remember right I made 8 total 5-Jurras, 1-smooth, 2-Teeter
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Originally posted by wbautomag wbautomag wrote:

The next set will do the same thing those Grips4U are crap all there good for is taking pics.

I beg to differ.  The ones on my 357 are still going strong (it came to me wearing them—I don’t know how much use they received from the previous owner). I recently fitted the second set to my 44 (See post above—the first set broke almost immediately because I failed to properly relieve the back side, and they were under considerable stress).

(Snip) 
I will report back in the upcoming months after I fire a few hundred more rounds through both my guns. I should probably hedge my bets and get rubber O-ring insulators for the grip screws too....

Resurrecting an old thread here. 

Okay, so it’s been a year now, and several hundred rounds through both guns. The grips are still going strong. I keep forgetting to fit them with rubber O-rings to promote their longevity, but so far, so good.....
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:04am
Hummm,,, not sure I consider that much of a test, I generally bring 200 rounds per gun each trip to the range.

I'm glad your not having a problem, but a few hundred rounds for 2 guns is not exactly a stress test.

Not picking on you, just saying that sometimes these problems show up after a few trips to the range and 500/1000 rounds.

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

Hummm,,, not sure I consider that much of a test, I generally bring 200 rounds per gun each trip to the range.

I'm glad your not having a problem, but a few hundred rounds for 2 guns is not exactly a stress test.

Not picking on you, just saying that sometimes these problems show up after a few trips to the range and 500/1000 rounds.

GH

Yes, that’s certainly an excellent point. I will come back to this in another year if they are still holding up. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456