AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of grips are these?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of grips are these?
    Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 2:59am
All,

I got a stash of Auto Mag stuff including a pair of original-looking grips. The thing is, I know there were several different versions of the North Hollywood/El Monte/High Standard/etc. grips, but I haven’t the slightest idea which is what. And Triple K makes reproduction grips too. 

So can anybody tell me what these are?

Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:53am
Nobody cares to hazard a guess? I know that they differ in detail depending on what process was used to make them originally, and people can tell based on the presence and location of various dimples and marks on the back. 

Unfortunately I lack the requisite knowledge. FWIW they came off of a High Standard gun.  Could they be original to that gun?
omie01 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:32pm
They look like they could be stock for a high standard. Remember only the early Pasadenas were all checkered, everything else looked like yours. The only reason to replace the originals for another set of plastics is if the originals cracked, which many did. But most people go with a more appealing replacement, so I would say they are probably stock, but no real way of knowing for sure! Just enjoy!!
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 5:26pm

I know that I might be corrected very quickly, but from what I have noticed is that the North Hollywood's tend to be more dull.  Especially if untouched.  Now, if someone has "cleaned up" their NH and wiped the grips down with something, then they will be more shiny like I've noticed on the El Monte's and the others.

I don't know if it is just the lighting but the two grips appear different.  One appears to be more shiny than the other.

I too am wanting to learn the differences and how to tell them apart.  I'll be paying attention to this thread.

So.... what else did you get?  Big smile

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:10pm

The Pasadena grips were fully-checkered hand poured polyurethane grips.

The TDE North Hollywood grips were a partially checkered hand poured polyurethane grips.

The TDE El Monte grips were partially checkered injection molded grips made out of model plastic that break after the first shot.

The TDE El Monte High Standard guns used the TDE North Hollywood grips that won't break.  I complimented Don Mitchell about his use of the unbreakable grips on the guns he ordered.  He was the CEO of High Standard at the time.  Mr. Mitchell said, "I held Harry to a higher standard." 

Later guns, like the "B" models, used  partially checkered, injection molded grips that were made of an unbreakable plastic that has a fiber content. 

They are quite dull. 

FYI----- 

Technically Bob Barbasiewicz's home was at 9503 East Guess Street is in Rosemead Calif., just over the City of El Monte's border.

The North Hollywood "Vanowen" address is a shop complex where you could rent a space.  B & B Sales kept the Auto Mag accessories there and shipped from this location.

An armed society is a polite society.
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:17pm
Thank you for sharing this.

In the picture of the right grip, inside panel, it appears there are "spots" towards the top.  Would this be indicative of air bubbles?  Would that be an indication that it was hand poured or injected?

I know it's not the clearest picture but it also seems as if there are "fibers" that are faint on the flat portion of the right grip?
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:38pm
Those are not "Regular" El Monte grips, the backside is more hollowed out. and it's hard plastic.

I do have a very early El Monte gun (AO series and not High Standard Marked) that came with the poured grips and they are not the reproductions. So either it came that way, they broke and someone complained and Harry replaced them, or they were swapped sometime over the years. Of course someone could have swapped the barrel/frame.....

I didn't realize that about the High Standard guns, but that's nice to know.

Triple K bought Vintage Gun Grips in Florida. I know Vintage Gun Grips here revised their mold at least once as someone here sent a set of unbroken grips for them to copy, as the old mold I think was made from a reglued broken grip or it wasn't the best.

Of course Bruce made the best reproductions!
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 6:36am
Thanks for the great info, and you’re right, the photos are absolutely terrible. I took them at night with artificial lighting. This weekend I will shoot some photos in the daylight and maybe we can get a more definitive identification. 

Besides the grips, I got a set of Grips4U wood grips, RCBS 56424 three-die set for .357 AMP, Safariland 103 holster, two triple-K mags...

...and an absolutely beautiful High Standard 357 Auto Mag Model 160 with 6.5-inch vent rib barrel. Thumbs Up 

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 7:49am
btw for those who might be interested, here is where the wood grips came from. Numerous styles available:

USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 1:32am
Nice grips there, but a bit pricey, no? Considering they are cut and shaped by machine in minutes.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>