AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

California Auto Mag for sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California Auto Mag for sale
    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:41am
All,

It is challenging to try to buy an Auto Mag in California because they are not on ‘the list’ and thus can’t be legally imported unless under the cumbersome auspices of the Curio & Relic program, which requires a special license. 

I just noticed there is a High Standard 44 Auto Mag listed for sale at a (very) Northern California dealership, which can legally be transferred to any California resident who is not otherwise prohibited from purchasing a handgun. It requires the utilization of the Person-to-person (PPT) transfer, meaning the buyer needs to be physically present at the gun shop to fill out the paperwork, and then again to take possession. 

But if a Californian truly wants to own an Auto Mag, this is the only legal way to do it, so a road trip to Northern California is a small price to pay!

(I have no knowledge or interest in this gun—I present this merely as a public service to any would-be California Auto Mag owners....)

Here is the link:

TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

All,

It is challenging to try to buy an Auto Mag in California because they are not on ‘the list’ and thus can’t be legally imported unless under the cumbersome auspices of the Curio & Relic program, which requires a special license. 

I just noticed there is a High Standard 44 Auto Mag listed for sale at a (very) Northern California dealership, which can legally be transferred to any California resident who is not otherwise prohibited from purchasing a handgun. It requires the utilization of the Person-to-person (PPT) transfer, meaning the buyer needs to be physically present at the gun shop to fill out the paperwork, and then again to take possession. 

But if a Californian truly wants to own an Auto Mag, this is the only legal way to do it, so a road trip to Northern California is a small price to pay!

(I have no knowledge or interest in this gun—I present this merely as a public service to any would-be California Auto Mag owners....)

Here is the link:

I must have had too much bubbly last night as I'm not thinking clearly. Why does the seller say it can only be sold in Ca? $4150 seems a little stiff to me even with the extras.. Bringing them in from sellers who are willing to sell to Ca and willing to get the seller clearance isn't that cumbersome. True we shouldn't have to go through these idiotic hoops I'll give you that but at least there is a way to get one. I was tickled when I realized ATF classified them as C and R guns.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by TankMan TankMan wrote:

I must have had too much bubbly last night as I'm not thinking clearly. Why does the seller say it can only be sold in Ca? $4150 seems a little stiff to me even with the extras.. Bringing them in from sellers who are willing to sell to Ca and willing to get the seller clearance isn't that cumbersome. True we shouldn't have to go through these idiotic hoops I'll give you that but at least there is a way to get one. I was tickled when I realized ATF classified them as C and R guns.

It doesn’t say it can only be sold in Ca.  It says it can only be sold in Ca. as a PPT sale. If you are in Los Angeles, you can’t buy it and have it shipped to your FFL. You have to travel to Eureka and purchase it is person.

Even though they are classified as C&R guns, an ordinary California resident can’t purchase them from out of state, can they? You have to have a special C&R FFL, which is a non-trivial thing. Right?

The last California Auto Mag sale that I’m aware of was a North Hollywood gun. Because it could be sold under PPT, it was sold to a California buyer for $7075!
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Originally posted by TankMan TankMan wrote:

It doesn’t say it can only be sold in Ca.  It says it can only be sold in Ca. as a PPT sale. If you are in Los Angeles, you can’t buy it and have it shipped to your FFL. You have to travel to Eureka and purchase it is person.

Even though they are classified as C&R guns, an ordinary California resident can’t purchase them from out of state, can they? You have to have a special C&R FFL, which is a non-trivial thing. Right?

The last California Auto Mag sale that I’m aware of was a North Hollywood gun. Because it could be sold under PPT, it was sold to a California buyer for $7075!

I guess I'm an outlaw then as I bought 2 from out of state last year, went through my usual brick and mortar FFL dealer as a C and R... The external FFL needs to do an extra thing but as far as I was told it's all on the up and up... I should add I am not in Los Angeles. Mentally, spiritually, politically I'm barely in Kalifornia...and sadly I'm a native.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:35pm
Very interesting! I thought one had to have a C&R FFL in order to do that but I confess I don’t know how California laws work. I’m sure you aren’t an outlaw. Maybe somebody just really really wanted that particular North Hollywood gun!
KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 8:13pm
Man, I must be a true rebel to think this... I would go to Vegas or AZ gunshows, buy one (personal transaction) bring it back to California and act like it's been in my family for years. The have to prove you wrong. The last Automag (Mint condition North Hollywood) I bought was at the Vegas Antique Arms Show for $1400. I gave cash, he handed me the gun. No questions asked. f**k California Gun laws! That's the very reason I left Cali in 1992. 
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:26pm
Yes, they have to PROVE you purchased after the law illegally BUT they will still kick your butt because you didn't register it legally as required by that law. They will stick it to you good because you now criminally used a firearm (because it was illegal for you to have without permission) and maybe killed a person in the commission of your crime of having it. That means one less voter for them to have and would really piss them off! Yes you lived only to be put the ringer of stupid laws to protect the stupid and criminals of that state.
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:03am
KMP
Most people I have talked to don't know the tricks or work around.
 I would never do something like that   Wink ...................That's illegal.   Cool          
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 2:59am
It turns out there are no tricks or workarounds needed. Thanks to the efforts of Bruce Stark, the Auto Mag in all its original incarnations is on the federal Curios and Relics List. Anybody in California (not just a C&R FFL holder) can buy any gun on the C&R list. The FFL doing the paperwork just lists it as such on the paperwork. The normal 10-day waiting period still applies as does the ‘no more than one gun per month’ restriction. 

C&R FFL holders don’t have those restrictions. 

This was news to me recently, and my bank account has suffered accordingly. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply