Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Automag Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 84>
Author
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 8:44pm
well its been a year since I paid for my Automag and not seen anything.  Wonder, was Patrick at shot this year?  Not looking very promising. 
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by RPM Enterprises RPM Enterprises wrote:

well its been a year since I paid for my Automag and not seen anything.  Wonder, was Patrick at shot this year?  Not looking very promising. 

I doubt that they are at the SHOT Show.  They are actually farther away from having guns to ship that they were a year ago.  It would be kind of embarrassing.
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:27pm
I have to say I have complete confidence that they will deliver as they have promised. I paid for mine I recall in Sept of 2017, no later than October. Late last year, December I had an opportunity to acquire some items ( related to another hobby) I really needed to jump on so I requested a refund from Patrick and he was true to his word. When they hit production some time I may well try again to buy the 8 1/2" version as I have no doubt they will make it.

Jerry
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:41pm
I just received this email.

Auto Mag | January 2019 UPDATE
Our very much anticipated insights for the new year

First I want to apologize for how long it has taken to get this out. It is totally my fault. I kept waiting for things to happen that got delayed. The good news is a lot has happened since the last update plus we have made several strategic plans in how we will operate going forward.

We have decided to move all the critical item production in house. We have mostly good vendors but, having it in-house will allow us to not only start on our work immediately, there is must less likelihood of mistakes made due to communication errors. As part of this move, we have already bought and installed a basic machine shop to prototype parts plus an R&D lab. We are in the process of interviewing people to work in this area so if you know anyone that is a good Machinist/toolmaker and/or Solidworks person please refer them to us.

We had several setbacks and delays in December. The second test group of mags was only spot welded on the floor plate area and when we tested them some of the floor plates would pop off due to the lack of a seam weld. This is being corrected as we speak.

The second batch of new frames solved the grain structure issue so they are machinable but there were places where there was not enough material to machine so the mold has been enlarged to accommodate this need. The third run will be machined next week.

The set back was that we had 217 completed bolts that when we started to assemble them we found that the nickel boron plating had been put on too thick and this made them not fit properly in the barrel extension. We decided to remake the bolts but in addition, are adding a radius to the bolt lugs that allows it to lock up properly even when there is a lot of fowling.

All the delays are due to me. In the beginning, when I bought Auto Mag I just was going to put together the parts and build a few hundred guns with no changes. I quickly realized that the Auto Mag had a number of deficiencies and over time I have decided to address more and more of them. There will always be one more thing that could be done, however, so as long as the current design is safe and reliable we will not make any more changes.

This leads me to the other delay. Through the years a number of Auto Mags were damaged due to firing out of battery but we were never quite sure what caused it. But at the end of November, we discovered that it was being caused by a combination of several things. One was a firing pin that was too heavy while dropping a bolt on a chambered round without a magazine in place to slow the bolt combined with a soft primer. We redesigned the firing pin out of titanium and it works great. The old steel firing pin weights 75 grains and the new titanium weights 43 grains. We are scrapping all the old steel firing pins and if you have received a gun from us already we will replace the old firing pin at no charge. Even though most gun people know better than to do this I felt like this was a safety issue that had to be addressed immediately.

Lastly, we have had Wolffe Spring remake all the springs in the gun closed end flat ground. The open end springs would cause clocking of the recoil spring rods to the point that you had to retighten them after firing a number of times.

We also plan to start putting continuous updates on the website and stop batching them together in emails.

We are at the Shot Show at the SBR Ammunition (booth 7403) and we have both the original and the new Auto Mag with all the improvements so if you stop by you can compare the differences.

Finally, we have replaced the damaged roof, remodeled the offices, and have moved back in and this will make us much more efficient in the future.

Respectfully,

Patrick Henry III

P.S. Check the website for the latest photos/videos. It may take a day or two to get them up but they should be online by Monday.

President & CEO of Auto Mag Ltd Corp
Phone: 843-756-0362
Email: patrick@automag.com
YouTube: The Auto Mag Channel
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:38pm
Thanks, Beemer Beer
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 5:10pm
This is the part of the update that provides me a glimmer of hope.

I quickly realized that the Auto Mag had a number of deficiencies and over time I have decided to address more and more of them. There will always be one more thing that could be done, however, so as long as the current design is safe and reliable we will not make any more changes.

Perfection at all costs is the enemy of success.

Safety and reliability come first, the rest is what you delivery on as you proceed to improve the product.

Take the 1911 platform. It was not "perfect" by any means when it was first released.
Since then, man MANY improvements have been made regarding metallurgy, machining tolerances, and exterior updates.

I give them 90 days before I make any decisions. But the magazine issue is stupid at this point. Either they know what they are doing or get someone who does. It doesn't take a year to get a working magazine design.
roodyrocker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 2:30am
Although I was unable to meet up with Patrick at SHOT Show, he was indeed there. He left a FE on display at the SBR both. I saw it myself and even held it :) I'm still hanging in there with Patrick. The way I look at it they'll be done when they're done :)

Rudy
JTaylorIV View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by TankMan TankMan wrote:

I requested a refund from Patrick and he was true to his word. When they hit production some time I may well try again to buy the 8 1/2" version as I have no doubt they will make it.

Jerry

Did exact the same. Once they have a proven product I will place my order again. I believe they will succeed, fascinating firearm. My own judgement to wait due to earlier unrealized expectation. 
John
richie_b View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:14am
Originally posted by JTaylorIV JTaylorIV wrote:

Originally posted by TankMan TankMan wrote:

I requested a refund from Patrick and he was true to his word. When they hit production some time I may well try again to buy the 8 1/2" version as I have no doubt they will make it.

Jerry

Did exact the same. Once they have a proven product I will place my order again. I believe they will succeed, fascinating firearm. My own judgement to wait due to earlier unrealized expectation. 

I've held off, hoping they would ship this year [2019]. But our fascist governor has implemented more restrictions, and it looks like I have some hospital time coming up, so I may have to re-think a refund. Don't want to, but it is what it is.  Unhappy

Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:50am
FWIW I phoned them about five times a week ago (before the SHOT show) and left messages on both the parts order line and Patrick’s personal line. 

Nobody ever called back.  

They are going to have to work a little harder on the basics (answer the phone, or at least call back if you can’t answer right away) if they want this enterprise to succeed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 84>