AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member: IAI AM III questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member: IAI AM III questions
    Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 7:46pm
Hello from Texas.  I have an opportunity to purchase the AM III 30 carbine.  I will not be able to handle it prior to purchasing.  I believe it to be a very clean gun.  I don't yet know if it has the box and manual but I suspect this is gun only with one mag.  I'm a shooter and a reloader.  Pistol mainly but I do load straight walled rifle cases.  In case it matters I also believe it to be one of the earlier production models with the IAI logo on the left slide and Irving, CA.  I'm drawn to the "big boomers".    I just recently began researching the AMT III and missed out on a local FTF purchase with box for $850 which seemed underpriced to me.  It was more of a safe queen.  Then I happened on another without the box and priced slightly higher but I believe in similar condition.  Enough about me and the potential purchase.

Please school this AMT newbie.  All guidance is appreciated.  What is the average going range for the gun I described, any known issues that I need to be aware of or to have checked, etc.  I will continue researching this forum.  Thanks in advance!

USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:21am
Welcome to the forum!
Heres a link(or at least the address) of the "completed auctions" on GB for this gun. Just pay attention to whether they sold or not. Asking price is not selling price as I'm sure you know.
You'll soon learn these were made in 9mmwm(Win.Mag.) also. These guns are more rare and will cost more in any condition.
Keep searching the forum for insights into problems with this gun, I seem to recall a few issues other folks have had. I've perhaps been lucky, no issues with over 300 rounds fired from both cal. guns in my collection.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:36am
Thx.  I did check out the sold guns on GB.  I believe most had the boxes and sold for $200+ compared to the one I’m interested in.  I’m guessing the box adds $100 in value.
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:43pm
Are you buying it as a collectible or as a shooter?

Anecdotes from several forum members indicate those things were bags of fun to shoot.
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:46pm
I will definitely be shooting her!
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:53pm
update: no box.  Just a very clean gun with one mag.  This is one of the earlier IAI stamped with sn A0077x.  Purchased used many years ago then never left the safe.
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:10pm
Hate to promote Ebay again, but you can sometimes find boxes and mags there. Just be sure to shop here, too and compare pricing + ship charge to get best deal. Some folks think ANY old mag is Gold!
You'll see what I mean here...https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=automag+III+magazine&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=automag+III....and here...https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=automag%20III%20magazine
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 3:28am
speaking of followers is there any significance between the orange vs black?
AUTOMAG View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUTOMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 10:09pm
Someone please correct me if i am mistaken but I heard that the orange indicated an original magazine and the black were reproductions.
"This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints"!!!
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 1:31am
I won't correct you 'cause I'm not sure, but I've seen a few supposedly NIB guns w/ black followers. One would naturally assume that these were from the factory, of course, but I guess you never REALLY know.
I was told once it was to differentiate a 9mmwm from a 30carb., but I'm pretty sure the mags are interchangeable between the two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>