AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fired the 30 AMP AR-15 today.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fired the 30 AMP AR-15 today.
    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:51pm
Worked fine.

Pic Left to Right - .375 Auto Mag, .30 Auto Mag, 300 Blackout.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

AUTOMAG View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUTOMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:57pm
Pretty neat Tony, you have all of the cool guns!!
"This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints"!!!
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:31pm
I want stats, what are the specs of cart. Both AMP if you know them.
Why bother with wildcats? Yep, just cause we can, lol (at least for now)
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:47pm
Not to pick nits, but shouldnt it be "30LMP"? Or is this a different wildcat? I would also love to know ballistics compared to .300BLK...very cool idea, is it just for targets or will you load different bullet for hunting?
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 1:26pm
I could never come up with a reamer print for the 30LMP.
Chances are the cases are the same, but the throat and lead surely are not.  This thing has a long lead on it so shorter bullets can be seated way long.

In a 14.5" barrel, I came up with the following velocities at 35-40k.....not 55k where the Blackout runs.  

27.6gr AA1680 110gr Hornady Spitzer 2421fps
26.3gr AA1680 130gr Hornady Spitzer 2238fps
24.0gr AA1680 150gr Speer Flat Soft Point 2028fps
22.0gr AA1680 168gr Speer Gold Metal BT 1868fps
18.0gr AA1680 230gr Berger 1524fps

I had some case capacity remaining with AA1680, so it may do a bit better with a slower powder.  Maybe AA2200 or something.  The reason I used AA1680 is because it was the top performer in my earlier tests with the 375 Auto Mag.

Tony 

P.S. If you want some dies for 30LMP/30AMP, CH4D probably has a few over-run sets in stock now.
Travis Morgan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 7:34pm
Ah yes, the "300 Blackout".  Always had my interest from way back (that, as well as a 44 AMP AR upper.... just for sh*ts and giggles perhaps, eh Tony?) - remembered I had a sales brochure from SSK - vintage early 90's, thought I'd share for those interested seeing as we are down this path. 

Also included an image of a build I did a little while back; in it is pictured an interesting round, using a Missouri Bullet Company 245 grain RNFP being pushed out an 8 1/2" BCM bbl by 9.4 grains of Win 296. Adjustable gas block of course and modded buffer spring w/ standard weight buffer to get things smoothed out and balanced. Ying Yang

Found this interesting discussion with Bill Alexander about the SAS trials of the "300 Wisper" as a potential replacement for the MP5 SD. 

USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 12:54am
A little off topic, but has anybody compared 44AMP velocities from 16" bbl. to the 6" one? Just curious...been thinking of having a rifle built. Obviously it would be a lot quicker, but by how much I don't know. Not using hot handloads or anything, just an average, safe for any AMP load.     Theres probably a table online somewhere if anybody can tell me where to look...thx
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 4:53am
Given that .44 AMP is ballistically almost equivalent to .44 Rem Mag, it stands to reason that a look at tests of rifles like the Ruger carbine in .44 Mag would probably reveal what the performance delta is, and you could assume a .44 AMP rifle’s performance would be more or less the same.
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 2:47am
DOH!!! I knew that...sometimes I think my brain hates me! thx mike.
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:30am
I was going through some Auto Mag pictures and found a picture of a LEJ barrel labeled 30 Cougar. Is that the same round?
Gerry
MI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>