AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.41JMP & .357AMP case forming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:52am
I just ordered one from CH4D today.  Thanks for offering.

Beer
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 6:08am
I called CH4D yesterday and ordered a 357 AMP taper crimp die for my friend, and while I was at it, I ordered myself a 357 AMP file trim die. Prices have gone up marginally to $62.09 each (what a random price?) and he had both on the shelf so they shipped same day. 

Happiness.....Thumbs Up
WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:16pm
Sorry for my ignorance here as I still haven't unsealed the NOS RCBS 3 die set I recently purchased in .357 AMP and loaded anything to test it.  At least with my .44 RCBS set the crimp is a tapered crimp die.  Am I to understand that the .357 set is not?  I purchased a custom Lee crimp die for my .44 caliber.  It works great but I'm not pleased with the results on the case mouth and how it acts similarly to a roll crimp.  I also purchased a set of Pacific Durachrome .44 AMP dies and they perform a strong roll crimp which causes a loss of near .010" of case shoulder.  Consequently I use the RCBS only now for all .44 crimping.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:22pm
357 AMP headspaces on the shoulder so can use a roll crimp.  Jurras and others believed a taper crimp is better, and he contracted with RCBS to have a separate 357 AMP taper crimp die produced, but those have not been available from them for eons. 

I got one very reasonably from CH4D and am quite happy with it. 
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

357 AMP headspaces on the shoulder so can use a roll crimp.  Jurras and others believed a taper crimp is better, and he contracted with RCBS to have a separate 357 AMP taper crimp die produced, but those have not been available from them for eons. 

I and several shooting friends ordered the taper crimp dies from Dave up at CH4D 4 or so years ago.  We waited 6 months for them to be made.  Dave said he made extra so you got one of those.
WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:06pm
Mike,

So the seater/crimp die that is included in the 3 die set from RCBS wasn't a taper crimp?

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Lee's Summit, MO
816-377-3185

Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:37am
Originally posted by WVWRZ500N WVWRZ500N wrote:

Mike,

So the seater/crimp die that is included in the 3 die set from RCBS wasn't a taper crimp?

No. As far as I know, all RCBS 44 AMP die sets (originally 4 dies, later 3 dies) came with a taper crimp die, which makes sense. Since the 357 AMP and 41 AMP headspace on the shoulder, those die sets came with roll crimp dies (I’m not positive about the 41, but am positive about the 357). Lee Jurras and others believed a taper crimp was better, and he contracted with RCBS to make taper crimp dies that he marketed exclusively. That was a very long time ago. 

Given how cheap CH4D taper crimp 357 AMP dies are, I would grab one while they are still available. Once they are gone it may be eons before they appear again!
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 1:24pm
Or better yet, order a whole set of dies from CH4D and get the TiN coating which is what I did long ago and was one of my best purchases ever.

GREAT folks to deal with, real pros, and super quality product for everything I ever bought.

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
golden24 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

Or better yet, order a whole set of dies from CH4D and get the TiN coating which is what I did long ago and was one of my best purchases ever.

GREAT folks to deal with, real pros, and super quality product for everything I ever bought.

GH

Very cool George thank you !
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 1:57pm
Its very early in the morning for you,,,

Fair warning the full set of dies from CH4D with TiN coating is expensive, especially if you are comparing the prices of a old set of RCBS you can buy in eBay.

Its like buying an old Craftsman wrench on eBay vs buying a new Snap On wrench from the dealer.  Both are really good tools, both will get the job done, but the newer one with its added features will come at a premium cost.  Very premium. Its was well worth it to me, but may not to others.

Just one persons opinion.

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>