AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.41JMP & .357AMP case forming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasadena-Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:16am
Not as much an issue of accuracy.  Oh sure it might have some effect on accuracy, but your bigger issue is pressure.

Different brass has different internal capacity and will hold more or less powder and also change the powder to empty space ratio changes which causes the pressure to change, and in an AutoMag it changes the cycling.

This has been discussed here many times.

DONT mix brass for AutoMag ammo. Not my words, warning from much smarter people than me.

Or don't pay attention and break you gun,but dont say you never heard of it.  Like I said its been discussed here on on other sites many times.  -Joe
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:08pm
YES!!!  ISW is your friend... I was using this for my 300 Savage from cut-down 30-06 cases. This is such a great case lube, never had a single stuck case with it and a little goes a long way.

But I did cut down to just below the neck of the cases, then annealed it so that the rest of the procedure was easier.

The really tedious part was trimming to length those 30-06/300SAV cases and then neck turning them. We loaded up around 200 or so some decades ago. Had to fire form them with Red Dot and a wax plug and then finish them with some final case trimming.

But, they are accurate... 3 rounds touching each other at 50 yards and easily through a spitzer into the pump station of a 7 point buck that year.

Originally posted by jw4570 jw4570 wrote:

And if you have a rockchucker and use imperial sizing wax, it's not as hard as one would think.

But it's a lot easier buying starline brass.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:20pm
Armed with my Imperial Sizing Wax and RCBS .357 AMP sizing die and expander, I’m in the middle of forming 500 cases this week. Sizing went fine (after establishing proper shoulder height per all the written guidance) and now I’m busy trimming using a rotary trimmer.

I just phoned CH4D to order a taper crimp die. RCBS only offers a roll crimp in their set but Kent Lomont and Lee Jurras were both adamant that a taper crimp is better, and since RCBS won’t make one, CH4D is it. I wound up engaging in a wonderful 30 minute conversation, as he had owned both a .44 and .357 at one point. He said his .44 used to routinely break (rear sight broke four times, barrel rib broke off) but he had no problems with the .357. Turns out he was friends with Kent Lomont and he had all sorts of wild man stories about him, including hauling 10,000 lbs of gunpowder for him from the Lake City plant to Kent’s house. It was a really pleasant conversation.

Oh, and miraculously CH4D has multiple .357 AMP taper crimp dies in stock, no waiting! So hopefully I will be loading by this weekend.

Back to the trimmer.....
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:13am
Mike,

how much was that Taper Crimp Die going for?
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 1:16am
To be honest I forgot to ask! But his website shows it cost $56.45.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:39am
The price on the website is the current price. It arrived today.

Just started loading with 158 gr Hornady XTP and various weights of WW 296 for experimentation purposes. You can see the taper crimp at the top of the case:

Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:11am
It was mentioned that RCBS won't make a crimper die.  I was poking around and found that RCBS # 18262 is for a 38S/357MAG.

Would this be OK to use or do you need a crimper die specifically for the 357AMP?

Thanks.
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:18am
Remember that the .38 Special is a straight-walled case while .357 AMP is bottleneck. The .357 AMP case would never fit in a .38 Special crimp die unless you had it machined to match the contour of the AMP case. 

I actually bought a .38 Special taper crimp die, assuming a proper .357 AMP crimp die would not be available, but before I had it machined I realized I could just buy the proper die from CH4D.  So the .38 Special die went right back on EBay. 

Why try to turn a cat into a dog, when you can just get a dog? :)

Despite the fact that the .357 AMP and .38/.357 use the same bullets, the actual outside case dimensions at the neck are different for some reason.
I just loaded 250 .357 AMP rounds today and will do another 250 tomorrow. Fun!
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:20pm
Thank you for clarifying.  I did not know how far down the shell crimp went befor crimping the lip.  I thought the crimp was (maybe) closer to the beginning of the die - not further up inside.  I honestly had no idea.

Makes perfect sense and thanks for the info.!
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:29am
Yes, need to order from CH4D or I might have a 357 AMP set I could sell if someone really needed one (regular crimp from RCBS). I wouldn't break it up though. I don't think I have an extra crimp die for 357.

Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>