AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag II .22 magnum all over the place

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimeTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automag II .22 magnum all over the place
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:16pm
Hello

New to the forum.  My dad passed and left me his guns.  One of them is an Automag  II .22 magnum.  It looks as he might have shot 50 rounds through. it.  Like new with box and papers. Also a receipt for half cock upgrade. Its an early one I'm guessing. 

Decided to finally take it to the range and try it out.  He had some Winchester ammo for it.  Well I put my paper target about 15ft down range and fired my first shot. Man was I surprised at the flame and kick of this thing. Almost up there with my S&W PC1911 .45.  Anyhow first shot missed the target. I fired of the rest of the rounds and they were all over the paper.  Not just up to one side or down to another and grouping well like sights are off. We are talking all over the place.  I loaded my 1911 and all 9 shots dead center tearing out the target.

I reloaded the Automag, Put a new target and tried it again. Same thing.  Fired 50 rounds through it and it never got any better.. Any ideas??

Thanks
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:56pm
All over the place - hmmm, loose sights?
TimeTraveler View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimeTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:22pm
Sights are tight.
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:04am
So far, so good. Any (major) slop in the slide-to-frame fit, or in the barrel-to-bushing area?

Also, any muzzle damage that you can see?
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimeTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:15am
No slop, Gun it tight all around. No damage. It looks brand new. I did break it down before I shot it and lubed the slide. Everything looked good.  Strange thing.
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 6:23am
Only other thing I can think of is that the twist-rate of that barrel just may not suit that particular bullet-weight in the ammo you were using.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:37pm
Could be ammo related.  Any one remember the old Winchester Expediter 22LR ammo?  It was Winchester's answer to the CCI Stinger and Remington's Yellow Jacket.  That Expediter ammo shot huge patterns from everything I tried it in.

Tony

XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:43pm
Not sure what Winchester ammo you are using. Winchester Super X works great if you can find it. Also note you should only use "ball" powder ammo. This model has a "gas system" built into the barrel that will clog up if using "flake" powder. 

I'm not sure which ammo uses what anymore but you should check before using. Did you save your empties? you can check how good your "gas system" is working by the shells. Look at the side and you should see "dot" imprints left by the gas ports in the chamber. Six ports around the shell with 2 rows of them.

As for shotgun patterns, try different ammo brands/runs but make sure to stick with "ball" powder stuff to avoid gas system issues.

Since you didn't say you had function issues I'll assume your gas system is working correctly.
Good luck
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 5:59pm
I have seen/read/heard (on here?) that CCI is now making the 22WMR ammo with ball powder.  I believe that Lee Jurras also confirmed this long ago.  They have been making it that way for quite some time now.
I'm trying to find reference to post but cannot.  Ouch

I also have references that say to use 40-grain high velocity ammo.  Winchester Super X and CCI Maxi-Mags.  Don't use 45-grain as that tends to be lower velocity.  Don't use the 30 or 35 grain stuff either.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimeTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:18pm
Thank you for all the responses.  The ammo is same vintage as the gun. Winchester super X. Was in the safe with gun.  I am going to take it to the range this weekend and use the benchrest and try the same ammo as I have a few more boxes and also try some different new ammo.  I will report back what I find.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>