AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Wildey Company - Preorders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 7:56pm
This is the most informative discussion on Wildeys that I have seen.  So, I wonder if some of you Wildey owners can help me out.  My 475 is fun to shoot and very accurate but the gun frequently jams when feeding the next round.  The edge of the chamber is sharp and the case of the jammed cartridge will show signs of the lower edge of the chamber face cutting into it.  I only use factory ammo.  Has anyone encountered this?  

Can the magazines be tuned like a High Standard so the cartridge at the top sits higher and more in line with the chamber?  

I think putting a small chamfer on the lower edge of the chamber would help immensely.  Can the barrel be removed from the barrel extension to access the chamber?

Thanks!
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 2:41pm
Your problem is one that I have not encountered.

1.  Do not try to take the extension off the barrel.

2.  Most feeding problems with Wildey's are solved by adjusting the gas system.  Either the action is working too fast or too slow. 

-How many clicks are you open and what is the barrel length? 

-Is the slide locking back on your present setting on the last shot?  I usually single load cartridges and increase the gas until the slide locks open.  The gun usually functions best a few clicks higher than this.

-If The slide is locking back, the action is probably acting too fast and not letting the cartridge raise fast enough to chamber.  Try  reducing the gas to slow it up.

-If that does not work, I would try using more gas carefully and see if you can find a setting that works.  It could be that the slide is not going far enough to the rear to allow the cartridge up.

-The Wildey magazines are very good in my opinion and I would not mess with them.  How many mags do you have?  Try different magazines if you cannot get it with the gas setting.

Good luck.
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 3:15pm
Before messing with the weapon, I would first change the ammunition and see if the problem is still the same.
Changing the OAL of the cartridge might solve the problem.
Just my opinion.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Luc V. Luc V. wrote:

Before messing with the weapon, I would first change the ammunition and see if the problem is still the same.
Changing the OAL of the cartridge might solve the problem.
Just my opinion.

Luc - My first thoughts were OAL or bullet shape also, but he is using factory ammo so that should not be a problem.  

I bought one of the new Wildey's and I ordered factory ammo with it to eliminate one variable.  It worked fine.  I had  to go to 16 clicks open on a 12" barrel to get reliability where on my old 12" Wildey worked on 10 clicks.

The factory ammo chrono-ed at 1725 fps with a 230 grain bullet s it is not a wimp load.
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by M475 M475 wrote:

My 475 is fun to shoot and very accurate but the gun frequently jams when feeding the next round.  The edge of the chamber is sharp and the case of the jammed cartridge will show signs of the lower edge of the chamber face cutting into it.

*snip*

I think putting a small chamfer on the lower edge of the chamber would help immensely.
I don't have any Wildey-specific expertise, but I *do* know that lightly rounding the edge of the chamber is a common modification for 1911 barrels to enhance feeding-reliability - I use the word "lightly" to emphasize that you obviously don't want to go too far by removing any support the chamber gives the case, but breaking the edge should be fine.
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:08pm
Beemer is right on in his advice here.

If it's not locking the slide back consistently with a single round in the mag, the gas system is not directing enough gas back to the action. I adjusted mine just like he does.

When I had my 475, I spoke with Wil Moore(didn't know I was talking to him, very nice man) and he pretty much told me not to use the W296 I was going to load and only use Blue Dot. I followed his advice and mine worked great once adjusted. It took about 10 rounds to get it adjusted and I trashed a couple pieces of brass that hung in the ejection port.

Also I bought mine used, which it had some problems(bent firing pin mainly, it wouldn't fire). Wildey had me measure the magazines well width and tell them the follower color. Turned out I had 2 475 mags but one had a 45 follower. I was able to get the correct one at the time, along with the firing pin.

JW

BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:49pm
There are two different color magazine followers, orange for 475, and black for 45 Win Mag and 44 AMP.

I can see no difference in any of them and have tried both orange and black in 44 AMP, 45 Wildey mag, and 475 Wildey Mag and all functioned without problems.  I own 45 Win Mag barrels but never fired them.

I never figured out what the difference was.
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:31pm
Beemer,

I just went by what Wildey told me. I just went ahead and got another orange and it worked fine. It wasn't expensive at the time (like $7 or something) so I just figured why not. I never really studied them, as it was the only Wildey I ever had or shot. I do somewhat regret selling it (as it worked great and many people seem to have problems with Wildeys), but it was to get another Automag, oh well......

I might have that follower I took out in a box somewhere, probably with the bent firing pin.....

M475 View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:06pm
Thanks for the replies, I turned in the gas adjust until it started to move the slide, then back until the slide was in its normal position.   I opened it up 10 clicks and added 1 click until the slide locked open after firing.  The slide started locking open on an empty mag after 13 clicks.  I went as far as 16 clicks but no real difference in feeding was noticed.  I was able to fire 3 rounds a couple times but not consistently.  I would like to dress the edge of the chamber but it is not easy to access it without taking off the barrel extension.  I will play around with the gas some more when I get back to the range.  Trial and error is getting expensive!
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:45pm
Sounds like you are doing thing right.

I would also try going higher on pressure.  Is yours an old Wildey or one of the new ones from USA Firearms?  On my new Wildey I had to get to 16 clicks to get it function with the Factory 230 grain loads.

How many rounds are you loading in the magazine?  Try loading 5 to start with.  Here is USA Firearm's suggestions.

http://www.usafirearmscorp.com/operation-notes

'Throating' the chamber should not hurt, I just have never seen a Wildey that needed it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>