AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Wildey Company - Preorders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:03am
Originally posted by desertmoon desertmoon wrote:

I wish you didn't have such a crappy trigger....it sounds like everything else is alright, though.

At least she runs good!!!!!

I have never had trouble getting my Wildey's to run, but this one took a little longer as I am still surprised it took that much gas.  I have another 12" and I run it at 10 to 12 clicks, heavier bullets and hand loads.

The bench range at my club was busy today so I was on an informal range shooting off hand.  I really needed to shoot from a rest at first to get used to the trigger, the recoil, the big grips, and that heavy of a gun.  That is the first time I have shot a Wildey with checkered grips.  I found them a little aggressive, I might have to change them.  That is my fault, I ordered it that way to try them out, probably a mistake.

At least I know it works.
desertmoon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:57am
Originally posted by BEEMER1 BEEMER1 wrote:

Originally posted by desertmoon desertmoon wrote:

I wish you didn't have such a crappy trigger....it sounds like everything else is alright, though.

At least she runs good!!!!!

I have never had trouble getting my Wildey's to run, but this one took a little longer as I am still surprised it took that much gas.  I have another 12" and I run it at 10 to 12 clicks, heavier bullets and hand loads.

The bench range at my club was busy today so I was on an informal range shooting off hand.  I really needed to shoot from a rest at first to get used to the trigger, the recoil, the big grips, and that heavy of a gun.  That is the first time I have shot a Wildey with checkered grips.  I found them a little aggressive, I might have to change them.  That is my fault, I ordered it that way to try them out, probably a mistake.

At least I know it works.

Ya know, I am likely preaching to the master, here...( and there is little you can do to alleviate a much trigger without doing a full sear/hammer geometry rework ) ....but whenever I get a new piece; I bust it down ( usually just a field strip ) and a thoroughly clean and oil the weapon as though it is dirty.  I personally JB Paste the bore for a good ten minutes ( PAIN in the ass and I don't think I'd do that on a wildey ) , look for anything amiss, then grease and oil the gun but GOOD.

THEN I put it together and rack the slide quite a few times just to get everything rubbed down, so to speak.  That USUALLY does the trick for me.

USUALLY.....
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:11pm
When I worked out the shipping details with the girl at Wildey, I asked if the guns were test fired.  She said the owner was doing all the assembly at this time, he then tested fired the guns, and then broke them down and cleaned them before shipping.

When I received the pistol, I field stripped the gun to check it out.  It was as clean as if it had never been fired.  Even around the gas ports there was no residue.  I really believed that it had been test fired and cleaned very well.  It was lightly oiled and there was a red grease on the cam pin where it fits into the slide.  I added a little FP-10 to the rails and bolt and put it back together.

I shot 30 rounds yesterday and the gun is pretty dirty and shows a lot of 'soot' around the gas ports and valve.  I'll give it a good cleaning and lube job and try it off bags next time.

I will talk to Wildey about the trigger but it probably is what it is.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 1:07am
Curious to see the outcome.  I would personally like to see them give you a good single action pull if only so that you can actually ENJOY shooting it.  Are your other Wildeys spongy in single action?

I'd also add, just for fidgeting's sake.....sit around and hand cycle the gun a few dozen times.

THAT should be fun with a Wildey.

You know something else I do on new guns?  I take the mags apart, clean them and I wipe the inside of the mag body and the spring and follower with the lightest coat of oil.  I only do that once every couple of years unless I use the gun a lot.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 1:38am
I called Wildey today and the owner was at the Doctor.  I just talked to the girl but she does a good job.  I don't think it is the first time she has complaints about spongy triggers.

When Wildey Moore designed the pistol he incorporated a DA/SA trigger system that makes no sense to me.  Wildey's have always been known to have bad triggers.  To tell you the truth, I don't really know if this one is worse than the others without a side by side comparison.  The pistols I have been shooting lately are either nice 1911's or some Gen 3 Smith and Wesson Performance Center auto which are super nice.  It is hard to go from one of them to 4 pound, 12" barreled, giant pistol putting out 1550+ ft-lbs of KE all at once.

I will shoot from a bench the next time out and that gets a shooter used to a trigger quicker than shooting that thing off-hand.
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Rumore Rumore wrote:

Hmmm.....I had one.  S/N 1109.  It was a complete piece of sh*t.

I'll have to pass on this pre-order.

Tony

Although mine was a different serial number, it too was a major disappointment. I was the 2nd owner and got rid of it shortly after wasting my 10th time at the range with it and a jam on every round.

No gunsmith would touch it and I didn't feel like having a body part lost in the confusion.

For those that have one that cycles easily, good for you. Your a better Wildey owner than me.
KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 4:51pm

With all this talk about the new Wildey, I been thinking that it would be neat to give it another chance. Yep I had one before, but I had a life changing experience with mine, so I got rid of it.

Let me share a story about my experience with a Wildey. At the time I was working for Gun World magazine and I contacted Wildey and told them I would like to do an article on loading for .45 Win Mag. I was planning on using a Wildey, Automag 1 and an Automag 4. They sold me one at the Distributor pricing, which was nice of them. After receiving the Wildey I shot it a few times with little to no issues. I did have some slight issues with the piston seizing up, but I was able to work around that issue. One time I took it out to a local range to see how it shot and to test different loads. While shooting rapid fire through a magazine, I noticed one of the rounds didn’t seat all the way (slide was partially back). I’ve encountered that before, with the sticky piston.  Not thinking about it, I hit the back of the slide to drive it home, which it did. As I was getting a sight picture, the thought ran across my mind. “Why did the pistol failure to lock in battery? Piston?” This malfunction just felt different. So, I decided to pull back the slide to see if there was anything I could see that caused it. As I ejected the live round I immediately noticed the bullet was pushed into case the almost .200”! What the hell?!? So now that got my attention, I started field stripping the pistol to see what caused that. What I discovered is that the Remington 700-style/C-Clip extractor came loose from the Bolt face and flew into the chamber! Then I realized that the next live cartridge feed from the magazine, into the chamber, forcing the extractor down into the throat of the barrel. Yep, that C-clip was wedged all the way “around” the throat. So, with the obstruction in the bore and the bullet pushed into the casing, the pistol was a grenade waiting to go off. I’m so thankful that I questioned myself, “why didn’t the cartridge fully seat?” I sent the pistol back to Wildey and asked what they can do to reassure this won’t happen again. All they did is reinstalled a new extractor and function tested it. Soon after that, I sold the pistol.

I would love to have another Wildey again someday, but I keep thinking of that moment. I just wish that they would redesign the pistol and maybe install a Sako-type of an extractor, similar in design to what gunsmiths do with the Remington 700 action.

Eric

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 12:35am
Oh...WOW.....the worst extractor design in history when it comes to downright toughness and that is what they used????

Oh, man.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:22pm
I got an email from Wildey today and they are taking pre-orders for Wildey's chambered in 44 AMP and accessory Wildey barrels chambered for the 44 AMP.  Barrel length are 8", 10", and 12".

Barrels are $725.00 plus shipping and expected wait is six months, wait time not guaranteed. They want 50% down.   I have heard rumors that they are not in real good financial shape so I am doing some checking first.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:58pm
Pfftttttttt.  I'll pass.

Tony 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>