AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

357 AMP handloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt_SAA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 357 AMP handloading
    Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:47pm
I am not new to handloading, I have been doing it for decades. However I am new to Auto Mags

A month ago I bought a pair of AutoMags(44&357) from a pre-estate sale. The deal was good even though one had a cracked receiver ring. 

I received 7+ boxes of 44AMP ammunition (mostly Norma and AM) but only one partial box of 357AMP handloads 

I noticed that none of the 357 was loaded into 357 brass. Some was reformed 44 and others began life as .308

I have no dies for either cartridge yet. I am asking for you insight into loading dies and forming dies. What have you guys found that works best?

Also if you can point me in a direction for some original brass that won't kill me financially it will be appreciated. 

I have come across a small amount of loading data but would greatly appreciate hearing what you guys like, especially when it comes to the 357AMP. Photocopies out of old loading manuals would be nice as well. 

What projectiles do these pistols favor? 

Is there a particular powder that works better than others? For example, my Desert Eagles like 296/H110 and 2400 for their high gas volume
www.356TSW.com
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 12:25am

The best place to get brass is from Starline.  I just checked and it is in stock in 44 AMP.  To make 357 AMP brass you just run the 44 AMP into the 357 sizing die. 

Here is a link to Lee Jurras's newsletters which will help on the reloading end.  Loading both the 44 and 357 are covered.  I think the best way for you to start is by looking through these articles and then come back with questions.  Read through the article on sizing 357 AMP brass thoroughly.  The head spacing varies a lot from gun to gun.

I have found RCBS dies to be the best.  I have both 44 and 357 extra I would sell.

Good luck.

Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 2:54am
Welcome to the site and congrats on the Auto Mags!

Lots to learn about them before you pull the trigger, or risk damage like you described (cracked ring)

If you have any questions, come back regularly, we have all been new to Auto Mags at one point and all had to ask or ended up breaking parts along the way,,,

As for that cracked, it can be fixed, so put it aside until you can get the right person to work on it, but beware an improper fix could ruin the frame and maybe other parts as well.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 4:13am
Welcome! I don't handload, but wanted to mention...the CDM ammo you have is collectable and usually too weak to cycle the gun(and dirty). The Norma is even more rare, but might be o.k. to shoot(never used myself, so more comments please). If you don't care about collecting, I'd pull and reload the CDM.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 2:21pm
By the way I just noticed your website.  I too am a 356 TSW enthusiast.

I own a Super "9" three barrel set, 2 - 3566 Limited with 9mm conversion barrels, 2 - 3566 compacts with 9mm conversion barrels, a 356 TSW SD, and a PC940 in 356.
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:38pm
I use imperial sizing wax when forming 357 AMP from 44 AMP.  works well.

BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by jw4570 jw4570 wrote:

I use imperial sizing wax when forming 357 AMP from 44 AMP.  works well.

Nothing else works like it.  Great stuff for the hard sizing jobs.
76nova View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:03pm
Check out Midway reloading supplies I just got a new reforming die a few weeks ago they'll have about everything you need it may take a little while but they may have a reforming die in stock now listen to what the fellas are telling you about the Norma and CDM they are collectible good luck
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 2:27am
You don't need a form set for 357 AMP if you start with 44 AMP Starline brass.  Just apply Imperial sizing wax per instructions, and form into 357 in the sizing die.  That's it...

And if Beemer doesn't have an extra set of dies, I probably do. 

If I were working up new loads, I'd use new brass.  Cut down 308 may be difficult to duplicate if you don't have the same headstamp, etc....  Reformed CDM is neat (I have some), but why mess with old brass if you are really interested in shooting it.  That's kinda like spending a bunch of time develop a load for 1/2 lb of discontinued powder.  Really?  By the time you get it figured out, the powder is almost gone.

Just my 2 cents.  New brass.

JW
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:41pm
It looks like he decided to sell his barrel instead.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/586241475
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>