AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Automag Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
desertmoon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 3:41am
Originally posted by Mark F Mark F wrote:

Just wondering if you have shot it again and the results?
THX
Mark F

Mark,

I have about 600 rounds through it and I've been relaying feedback to AutoMag pretty much every step of the way.

There are some minor but cumulative engineering tweaks that need to be made to the gun itself.  Those are all being addressed as we speak.  In fact, it should be noted that the issues involved are largely legacy issues and now that a few of the guns have been run hard, it's become evident what those issues are and they are actually not to hard to correct.  The workmanship of the gun is outstanding and when the minor tweaks are incorporated....these things are really going to run. 

I would say that those tweaks are going to be worth waiting for....believe me.  I know a few of you are itching to get your hands on one of these and shoot them.  For the shooters, I say, just wait a bit longer.....the tweaks are gonna be worth it.  Again, those tweaks are engineering tweaks.....the workmanship of the gun it excellent.

AutoMag magazines have never been stellar and it is still the case now.  That mag design was NEVER good even though there were "good" ( or, at least, "well made" ) versions of the OEM magazine.  That being said, this issue has become very clear and work is ongoing to create a proper magazine worthy of the gun.  The good news about that is once a good mag has been engineered and produced, it will truly put these guns over the top.

Think of it this way, the AutoMag is a reboot of the franchise.....and it has started off on VERY good footing.  In fact, it is right up there with the Pasadena guns or better.  It's made with mature versions of the technology used to create the original.  It's made with MUCH better materials and to much closer and more consistent clearancing and tolerancing.

Right now, the AutoMag is on better footing than it has ever been.  It is NOT going to take long for this gun to mature....and when it does.  Look out!

If I had no faith in this gun....believe me, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you.

Mark F View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 1:58pm
Wow, thanks for such a detailed update and all your hard work (soar hands) shooting and documenting your observations back to Auto Mag. As a 44 year owner of an original AMP I can gladly wait a little longer.
Thanks again for the update!

Sincerely,
Mark F
45 Year Wait View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:52am
Anybody here know anything about Automags with an "X" serial number? Specifically on Gunbroker right now there is serial #XP0008 for sale. Reserve is NOT met and the bidding is at $18,500.00. Seems like that would HAVE to fall under the "Curios & Relics" for Calif purposes.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:10am
All (or almost all) original Automags fall under the C&R regs. You can see them on the approved guns list, which can be viewed on the CA DOJ website. Sadly, the new guns were not afforded the same latitude.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

All (or almost all) original Automags fall under the C&R regs. You can see them on the approved guns list, which can be viewed on the CA DOJ website. Sadly, the new guns were not afforded the same latitude.

Sorry, I was a bit confused. I think the C&R list is actually a federal DOJ list, not state? And I think original Automags are not on the state approved gun list, but instead only on the C&R list so it requires a special C&R license to buy one in California?

Others know far more about this than I do. But I do know the new guns don’t fall under the C&R.....
Pasadena-Joe View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by desertmoon desertmoon wrote:

Originally posted by Mark F Mark F wrote:

Just wondering if you have shot it again and the results?
THX
Mark F

Mark,

I have about 600 rounds through it and I've been relaying feedback to AutoMag pretty much every step of the way.

There are some minor but cumulative engineering tweaks that need to be made to the gun itself.  Those are all being addressed as we speak.  In fact, it should be noted that the issues involved are largely legacy issues and now that a few of the guns have been run hard, it's become evident what those issues are and they are actually not to hard to correct.  The workmanship of the gun is outstanding and when the minor tweaks are incorporated....these things are really going to run. 

I would say that those tweaks are going to be worth waiting for....believe me.  I know a few of you are itching to get your hands on one of these and shoot them.  For the shooters, I say, just wait a bit longer.....the tweaks are gonna be worth it.  Again, those tweaks are engineering tweaks.....the workmanship of the gun it excellent.

AutoMag magazines have never been stellar and it is still the case now.  That mag design was NEVER good even though there were "good" ( or, at least, "well made" ) versions of the OEM magazine.  That being said, this issue has become very clear and work is ongoing to create a proper magazine worthy of the gun.  The good news about that is once a good mag has been engineered and produced, it will truly put these guns over the top.

Think of it this way, the AutoMag is a reboot of the franchise.....and it has started off on VERY good footing.  In fact, it is right up there with the Pasadena guns or better.  It's made with mature versions of the technology used to create the original.  It's made with MUCH better materials and to much closer and more consistent clearancing and tolerancing.

Right now, the AutoMag is on better footing than it has ever been.  It is NOT going to take long for this gun to mature....and when it does.  Look out!

If I had no faith in this gun....believe me, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you.

Not sure what you mean by "mature" I dont see this gun ever getting mature.

It is what is is. 

Sure you can pick better metals, and you tighten up the quality control, and maybe you can even make a few modest changes, but expecting it to become something else seems unlikely. 

Its a unique and very complex gun and it will never be a 1911 or Ruger MK II. 

Expecting these folks to mature the design is probably unrealistic. 

Its always been a tinkerers gun and a hand loaders gun and I just dont see that changing unless you turn it into something else.  -Joe
robocop View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:29pm
All of the original Auto-Mag's (44-357, etc) are classified as C & R's on the Fed. list.  If you live in California and have a C&R, you are good to go for acquisition.  I am in California and there was no problem obtaining a 357 and 44 (North Hollywood's) with my C&R license.
Pete
Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:52pm

To use my C&R FFL in California, I also need a COE, (Certificate of Eligibility).  I believe it is about $100 a year to have a COE.  I petitioned the ATF for a determination of the Auto Mag being classified as a Curio.  This is what I got;

Section II: Firearms Classified As Curios Or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44

"Auto-Mag pistols, calibers .44 AMP and .357 AMP, mfd and/or assembled by Auto-Mag Corporation, TDE, OMC, High Standard, Lee Jurras, or AMT from 1969 to 1985."

An armed society is a polite society.
robocop View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:36pm
The Certificate of Eligibility in California is good for a year.  Costs is 71.00 plus the live scan fee where the prints are obtained.  Renewal is 22.00 per year.  With my C&R, the Certificate of Eligibility, I don't have to wait the 10 days when acquiring a C&R gun and I can purchase more than 1 per month if desired, (I believe up to 6 guns).  That said, it is just another BS fee Sacramento imposes on us honest folks to collect money, over and above what the Fed's want.
Pete
45 Year Wait View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:45pm
Don't ya just love California? I got screwed out of my Founders Edition because of stupid CA laws. I wont be able to get a Classic until I finally move out of this God forgotten state.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 123>