AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Automag Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105106107 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:46pm
Woohoo ClapClapBeer
RPM Enterprises View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:57pm
Getting close. Can hardly wait for mine to get here.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:39am
This is the first I have heard about a ‘new bolt’.

Will this new bolt have a different lug configuration, or will it be backwards-compatible? Will an original upper (a 357 AMP for instance) fit and work on a new frame/bolt?

Will the new bolt fit and work in an original gun? I know some original guns have suffered from owner abuse and have damaged or broken bolts.....
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Will this new bolt have a different lug configuration, or will it be backwards-compatible? Will an original upper (a 357 AMP for instance) fit and work on a new frame/bolt?

Will the new bolt fit and work in an original gun? I know some original guns have suffered from owner abuse and have damaged or broken bolts.....

It is my understanding that the new bolts have a different lug configuration than the original guns.

I do not think that they will work with an old barrel.

The new uppers (barrel/bolt combination) will work on an old frame though.  I think that I am correct.
desertmoon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:09am
Originally posted by BEEMER1 BEEMER1 wrote:

Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

It is my understanding that the new bolts have a different lug configuration than the original guns.

I do not think that they will work with an old barrel.

The new uppers (barrel/bolt combination) will work on an old frame though.  I think that I am correct.

Beemer, I am pretty sure you are right.  I do THINK, however, that the changes to the bolts are rather minor ( excepting quality and metallurgy ) and that it very well may be possible for a new bolt, cam pin and cocking piece to be fitted to an old upper if the upper is still in good shape.  I could be wrong on that.   A new bolt bolt WOULD require a new cocking piece as the bolt tail/cocking piece interface is an updated and stronger design, if I remember correctly.  The new cocking pieces are friggen awesome.

Liability-wise, I think a whole new upper would be the best of both worlds.  Right now, frames are pretty much still frames.  I think even the new frames are nearly going to be completely backward compatible as the changes are more toward the tolerances, metallurgy and quality side...not really any major engineering changes to the operational theory.
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:06am
I'm just so giddy that they got things moving forward and the magazine issue is resolved.

As far as the bolt changes, since I am ordering a new "classic", I'm not too shook up.

I don't think Patrick is doing anyone "wrong" and the whole biz with the other company will hopefully sort itself out. I guess I would prefer to move away from the legal mumbo jumbo as quickly as possible.

I'm tickled pink about a free display case! But now I need to cough up for a couple extra magazines once they are available. (although having a 4th one under the felt would be nice insurance)
Travis Morgan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 4:28pm
Glad to here things are moving in a positive direction once again. Communication and dedication are highly valued by customers. 
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:59am
Speaking with Patrick when i ordered the FE, i asked about an 8.5" for my original "shooter". At the time he told me that if i ordered a new barrel that it would come with a matching bolt. That way they will be a matching set as there were tolerance differences with the originals.

At the time i spoke with him he told me that i could order the barrel/bolt and they would send it to me, or i could send them my frame and they would ensure that the barrel/bolt matched my frame as they found about 4 slight variations in the frame design (which explains why not all of my barrels are interchangeable with all my frames). Then he would send my frame and new barrel/bolt directly back to me. No FFL needed because the gun was going to/from the factory.

I do not know if all of this is still true today. A call or response from Patrick could clarify this.

I wonder if i can put the $300 towards a new 8.5" barrel (and bolt?) For my old shooter.....   
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
JTaylorIV View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 1:35pm
I believe there still are issues with the magazines or a shortage.  Interesting to see a design change in the bolt. Wonder if it has to do with the feeding problems?  With three weeks for the bolt, would think you should see shipments by the end of June, "we are scrapping all the current bolts and making the improved version. New bolts should be complete in three weeks".

Curious if anyone has been given an approximate timeline when the remainder of the FE's will be shipped and when the magazines will arrive. The magazine issue may not be resolved in three weeks so there may be finished pistols minus the magazines.

I understand many who are waiting for their FE's and CE's do monitor this board.  Anything factual would be beneficial to all.

John
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 6:24pm
I wouldn't mind getting the FE itself first and just wait for the mags.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105106107 123>