FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Instructions for .357 AMP forming dies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instructions for .357 AMP forming dies
    Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 11:03pm

Well, of the 500 or so 357 AMP cases I made from Starline 44 AMP I used only my Rockchucker, Imperial sizing wax and the 357 SIZING DIE (not the Form Die).

I can only say that as Lee mentioned, my chamber required me to make sure the shellholder contacted the die firmly ("cam over" so to speak, like adjust to touch and just a hair more) or the rounds may not chamber.

I shot my first deer with a pistol last year with the 357 AMP.  I wish I could say it was with the Automag, but it was a T/C Contender with a 14" SSK 357 AMP Barrel and a 2-7 pistol scope at about 80 yards.  That barrel is a hell of a shooter too. 

Jason
Big Thunder View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 6:05pm
Gerry, thanks for the offer, but you already sent me the load data some time back.  Thanks again!
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2008 at 5:27am
Thanks everyone for your input.  Its appreciated.  Jason, no need to photocopy the instructions.  The brief description you wrote was all I was really looking for.  Thanks!  I didn't intend to form any brass from 308 cases.  Someone told me that I had to ream the Starline after running them through the .357 Amp sizing die, so I picked up a set of the .357 forming dies. I assume now, that the information given me was incorrect? 
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 1:19pm
Yoshi,

That's the site I was thinking about.

I'm sure you know this, but Buffalo Arms offers already formed 7mm Nambu Brass:

Not that I would want to buy a bunch of it at that price though. 

And I would want a case forming set if I had a Nambu too. 

Jason
Yoshi View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 2:37am
Jason,
It was on Mark's 44automag.com site. You can still find its text from internet archive, but some pictures were already dislocated. Brian's Owner's manual has its photocopy, too.

By the way, I recently did similar work by myself to create 7mm Nambu cartridge out from 30 carb. Base forming by using Arbor Press, trim and file with trim die, then ream the neck with ream die and reamer. Of course repeat ** times... I wish StarLine makes 7mm Nambu brass.

Yoshi
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 12:51am

I think Ian's site has an old issue of LEJ's clubs papers that discusses forming 357 AMP from 308 brass.

Ditto on forming from 44 AMP Starline. You can make about 3-500 pieces of brass in a very short time. I did on my RockChucker.
Load information is somewhat lacking but if you contact me offline, I will share the published info I have.
What kind of bullet weight are you looking to push? All most time for deer in WI am I right?
Gerry
curmudgeon View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 11:59pm
sometimes to get proper Headspace with the 357 Ctg. I have had to grind 5-.007" off the bottom of the 357 die or the SH.. Check for HS, as the set up to form from 44 to 357, varies considerably from gun to gun... 
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 10:53pm
Lee is right on.

You dont' need a 357 AMP case forming set if you are starting with 44 AMP brass.  It's very time consuming to ream the brass, and not worth it considering you can't find cheap 308 boxer primed brass anymore.  Do I have a set?  Yes, In case Starline quits making the excellent 44 AMP brass.  But I intend to stockpile enough brass for my lifetime as it's such a pain to ream.  I recommend using Imperial sizing wax to form 357 from Starline 44.

That being said, the original instructions aren't all that great, matter of fact they don't cover the 357 AMP case forming dies, only the 44 AMP, the 357 isn't mentioned in the booklet. 

DO NOT Attempt Case forming unless you are a seasoned Handloader.  If you have any doubts about your abilities to do these operations, then don't. 

But to my memory (and use the information at your own risk),

Run a well lubed (I'd use Imperial Sizing Wax, but that's me) 308 case into the 357 AMP trim die (with shellholder set to "touch" the die) agaisnt bottom of die, be careful here, you may not need that much because of the 357 AMP has varying headspace between guns.

cut off excess with hacksaw blade (to about 1/32 above die). 

Use mill file to trim excess from case.

repeat 50 times

are you tired yet?

Setup the ream die with shellholder to "touch" the die. 

Run case into ream die.  turn reamer with hand tap wrench, cleaning flutes every 3-4 turns.

Tired yet?

Repeat 49 times and you have 50 pieces of brass.

I do have a booklet, and will work on getting you a copy if you Private Message me but I can't promise anything as I have many irons in the fire.

There used to be a webpage about using the reamer setup for 44 AMP somehwere, anyone remember that page?????

Jason

curmudgeon View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 6:51pm
Those are for forming from 308, forget that, just buy some Starline 44 brass, anneal and form in 357 FL die.Tongue
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 5:03pm
Does anyone have a set of instructions for an RCBS forming die set that I could get a photocopy of?   Or could someone give me a brief description of how I am supposed to set them up?  Thankyou.
 Post Reply Post Reply