AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Photo's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

357 hornady leverevolution bullets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 357 hornady leverevolution bullets
    Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:49pm

They may look different but the Hornady 140GR Leverevolution bullets perform flawlessly.
Porterhouse View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porterhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 10:07pm
They look good but what O.A.L do you seat them? Do the bullets go into case body(I bet they do)? What about velocity? Accuracy? I looked into those bullets but didn't find they have any advantage over 140gr XTPs for 357AMs. The magazines of AMs limits the O.A.L. so theoreticaly, they have better B. C. but useless for AMs. I get around 1,850fps or so and get just over 1" group at 50yds with 140XTP. I feel that's as much as I can ask for 6.5" 357AMP with iron sight. Am I missing something?
Rocketthon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 10:46pm
The ElMonte barrel seems to ingest anything and just keep ticking, sort of a Timex that way. The LE bullets are seated to cannelure and fit in the mag just fine. Feeding is slick and not had a missfed round yet. Velocity is not up to your standards (around 1780) as I only use 23.5 grains of 296 and you likely use more. You will not improve on your accuracy which is better than most can shoot anyway. My thought was downrange performance, seems this bullet was designed for use in a 357 lever action rifle which produces about the same muzzle velocity as the AMP. Everyone reports that the terminal performance of the bullet is far superior to anything out there right now. I have not had the chance to hit anything flesh yet so can't vouch for that. To me this was an exercise in maximizing the round for a specific purpose; ultimate reliability, flattest trajectory (inch less drop at 100 yards), best terminal performance. So far I have proven the first 2 so looking forward to some deer to check the last.

BTW the bullets are fairly deep in the body. I had to cut the load down .5 grain on the Lamont cases I have as they are military and have a much thicker web but the Quality brass (in picture) has plenty of room.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 11:00pm
Oh, one other thing I should mention, used the seater plug from my 35 Rem RCBS dies to seat the bullets as the one that comes with the AM dies will not work.
Porterhouse View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porterhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 3:48pm
I think I should give them a try and do some testing. Hard to prove flatter trajectory without scope though. Thanks for the tip about 35 Rem seated.
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:39am
I have done alot of loading and testing with the 225 and 265 .44 LE bullets in my AM, cant wait to get some of these and try them in my .357. Maybe use these on whitetail this nov.
Matt
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:14pm
I have never been able to get the 265 LE bullets to seat and work right in either 44mag or AM. Was not comfortable with how deep the bullets had to go in the regular 44's so the AM's I have are reamed for the shorter bullets and made from 7.62 blank brass so no way there. The 225's are great for lighter bullet loads in my Desert Eagle, still have not tried them in AM's since I pretty much only use the 180 XTP bullets.
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:41pm
The 265's seated correctly are just too long but they still work perfect in my AM but I can only have two rounds in the gun at a time because they are long. One in the chamber and one in the mag. The first round fires and the gun cycles normally and pulls the one round out of the mag and fires the second shot perfectly. I just cant load more than the single round in the mag since a second round wont fit down into the mag body. For deer hunting in a blind this si fine since I rarely get a second or third shot. If I hunt pigs with it I use one of my other loads with the proper length rounds so I have several back up shots. 
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Pontiaker Pontiaker wrote:

I have done alot of loading and testing with the 225 and 265 .44 LE bullets in my AM, cant wait to get some of these and try them in my .357. Maybe use these on whitetail this nov.
Matt
Have you or any other of our intrepid shooters of the great 357 Automag had the chance to try these out?  interested in your findings, still have not hit a deer yet but performance has been great otherwise.
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 4:48pm
First, I'm NOT a handloader but have read a lot lately about these new plastic tip and rubber tip things. Most times I see them in articles they always have the tips UP, I assume to keep them from sitting on it's tip and deforming it. I see yours are pointed down, resting on the tips. I'm assuming they are loaded rounds using the tip bullet being talked about here in the green case and not just empties. Does it matter or is it you don't let them "rest" too long before they are gone? I know some are now rubber and have been made to work in lever guns thus the rubber cushions recoil forces while inside the tube mag allowing them not to cause chain fire while resting on primers in forward cartridge so I assume the rubber is somewhat soft-ish. Just wanted to know, any comments?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>