AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Everyone,
I am sorry to say that we appear to be having database issues again.
I am working on resolving them but it may take a few days as I will need to migrate to a new database server and as a result I need to write a migration script. Sorry about this.
I think you can still update topics just not add new ones.
Ian

4th July 2014

Automag in 30 carbine how many made?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracer1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automag in 30 carbine how many made?
    Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 11:14pm
Greetings All
I'm the new owner of a IAI Automag III in 30 cal carbine. I am interested in the history of the pistol and have been surfing the web for info. There is not too much out there concerning the 30 carbine and I am trying to find some. I figured that this forum would be the best possible place for experts on this subject.

From my research it seems to indicate that the Automag III in 30 carbine was first made  by AMT and when that company went out of business it was made by IAI.

Does anyone know how many Automag III in 30 cal carbine were made by AMT and during what years? Does anyone know how many were made by IAI  and during what years? 

How many total Automag III in 30 cal carbine were made ? 

Did any  of the companies/producers that continued to produce Automags ever come out with a 30 carbine also?

I've also read that the Automag III in 30 cal was more reliable and the IAI were better quality then the AMT's. Anyone care to share an opinion on the 30 cals?

I realize thats a lot of questions but as time goes by the people who know the answers will pass and that knowledge and information will be lost to future genetations of Automag owners.

Many thanks to all who read my posting and to those who took the time to provide some answers to those questions.
silvermane_1 View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvermane_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 5:20am
the automag III was also made in 9mm Win Mag too
ProTourAero View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProTourAero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 1:54pm
Here is a picture of each:
Mike McKinney
Chesterton, IN
protouraero@comcast.net
www.premierpistol.com
Tracer1951 View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracer1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 2:13pm
Mike
That is a beautiful case!!!  (and the pistol ain't bad looking either ! ) lol
Looks like your using a M1 stripper clip (new type) to hold the 30 carbine rounds
Thanks for the posting!
XP001 View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 4:25pm
ok, here are some of the things that I know, if anybody thinks/knows different feel free to chime in, no hurt feelings here!

IAI and AMT were owned by the same person, "Harry Sanford". I heard he splt up his operations because of the big lawsuits going around at that time and wanted to make sure if one came his way they couldn't take the "whole" pie. So not to confuse this, AMT was first, then he split it into amt and IAI, then once lawsuits settled out he dropped the IAI operation name and went only under the AMT name then.

IAI was the first company name to be stamped on the Automag III 30Carbine, later they added the 9mmWinMag caliber to the Automag III. They are different specs to many of the parts between these, there is a thread about the differences list on this forum. The later models have the AMT stamp. The very early versions have manuals with only the 30Carbine description on the cover, later versions added the 9mmWinMag on the cover under 30Carbine.

As for reliability, I have shot my AMT without any issues, haven't shot any IAI's yet so can't tell about them. Years made and how many I have no info., not sure anybody can get exact number but can hope somebody will. They have a lot of flash and boom but I feel recoil is medium.

There are also two versions of the 30Carbine parts, some have bbl/slide lockup lugs and some bbls didn't have the lockup lug. It makes a difference as one type requires a spring and pin inside the recoil spring guide rod in order for it to properly cycle shut. You can find out by field stripping it and watch for that spring and pin inside the guide rod that butts against the bottom bbl lug.

Most of this info is posted here, just look into old threads, lots of info and pics of these differences.
Luc V. View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:20pm
Some more info on the production of those pistols, after IAI & AMT, High Standard also had them advertised for sale as per their website. Never know if they actually sold some...
As far as converting the .30 to 9 mm magnum, I gave up that idea some time ago...but I'm still on the lookout to find one overhere. Some did show up from time to time.

Info about the different models:
ProTourAero View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProTourAero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Tracer1951 Tracer1951 wrote:

Mike
That is a beautiful case!!!  (and the pistol ain't bad looking either ! ) lol
Looks like your using a M1 stripper clip (new type) to hold the 30 carbine rounds
Thanks for the posting!

That would work, but what I have a a newer speed loader made by "Quickstrip".
Another supplier of this type of speedloader is "Bianchi".
Mike McKinney
Chesterton, IN
protouraero@comcast.net
www.premierpistol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic